Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224579 times)

Offline libbie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #387 on: Tuesday 19 June 12 23:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the input.  You're right about the marriage date.  I accidently put the date for marriage of Christiane's sister, Louise!  I appreciate the tip about Kress information on Ancestry. Maybe if I can show relationship, they'll let me access it.

Offline tedebear

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, was just wondering who you were as the people you are refferring to in your post are possibly my Horns - My Great Grandparents  :)

Regards Julie (New Zealand)

Offline libbie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: Thursday 21 June 12 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,
   It's me!  We've exchanged quite a bit of family information.  I recently sent you a picture of some London Butchers, one of whom we thought might be your great grandfather.  Still hoping to hear what your parent's think and if they can identify anyone else in the picture.  If your Uncle did have a copy, you might want to post it here?  You have my private e mail.  Talk to ya later!

Offline BecGilbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: Thursday 21 June 12 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, All,
     Libbie's post to Julie (that she had "some photos of pork butchers")is heartening to me.  I know that my grandfather worked for a pork butcher named Charles Beyer (probably Johann Karl Beyer when he was in Kunzelsau) during the years 1888 to 1894.
     Since my grandfather died here in the USA in 1937 and since cousins who inherited everything (who says primogeniture is dead?) got the only photo I ever saw of my grandfather (and since there is no way I can get in touch with the inheriting cousin -- his last known address is a dead end), I don't have even one photo of my grandfather at any age.
     It's a shot in the dark, but maybe someone on this site has a photo of Charlie Beyer and his assistant (my grandfather, for one) between 1888 and 1894.  I've tried the Mormons and Ancestry.com but I haven't tried this.
             Hoping against hope,
                       Bec Gilbert

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: Saturday 28 July 12 09:59 BST (UK) »
Been at sea for a while so have not seen many posts, but can see it's still busy. I'll just give it a 'bump' in case there are people new to Rootschat, that may have missed and/or, have an intrest.
Hello to Histres, SwissGill et all  :D
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: Saturday 28 July 12 10:33 BST (UK) »
There is ... an offshoot ?  a topic with related interests ? ... here, also with some german pork butchers

Topic: German Ancestors in the North of England
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,607068.0.html

I've added a link there to this topic :)

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: Saturday 28 July 12 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the heads up Bob, like I previously mentioned, been away for a while and been unable to follow the thread.
Interesting to note that some of the posters are in the AGFHS, I emailed them on many occasion for membership and never received a reply  :P
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline awahl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: Sunday 19 August 12 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi All

just come across this topic.....it is excellent and a quick search has prompted me to add the WAHLERS name to the subject....my gggf Hermann  Wahlers (born 1838 in Gross Sottrum, died 1915) married Anna Sophia Koch (born in Germany c 1836) in 1862 at St Nicholas Church in Liverpool.  They had 8 children.

Hermann Wahlers was a german pork butcher at 273 Athol Street for many years but had retired by 1898.  He supported the german church in Liverpool and, in his wisdom, was a subscriber to Everton Football Club.

I have never come across an old photograph of Athol Street....but it was a long street in the docklands area with over 300 houses and over 30 public houses!

There is a connection with the WAHLERS family name and sugarbakers, the White Star Line, lace export, Australia and New Zealand.

Regards

Alan Wahlers
wahlers  gerken rosenbrock

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: Sunday 26 August 12 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi All "German Pork Butcher" Fans,

I've added an occupations field to the SIT,
so if you all enter your Surnames there,
it will be easier to keep track of them all   ;D

Topic: New possibilities in the SIT: Occupations
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,612580.0.html

regards,
Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)