Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224577 times)

Offline limehouse79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #405 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Berlin-Bob  :)

Thanks for all the helpful hints - I definitely need them!  What a great site.

I've added some surnames to the list and if any of these names ring bells with anyone I'd love to hear from them.

My gt grandfather Christian Friedrich Burkert (1857-1925) married Christine Fredericka Weiss (1855-1888) in Niedernhall.  Christine's parents were Georg Christoph Weiss and Christine Barbara Seez.  I'd be grateful for any further information on the Weiss or Seez families. 

Two of my great grandfather's sons came to England, Christian Friedrich Burkert (Fred) and Johann Heinrich Burkert (Harry).  Fred married Pauline Schneider from Steinbach and they had a pork butcher's shop at Garratt Lane, Summerstown, Wandsworth.  Harry married Magdalene Kern from Vogelsberg and they had shops at Athol Street and Brownlow Hill in Liverpool.  I've tried in the past to find photos of the streets in the early 1900's but have been unsuccessful so far.  Does anyone know if there are any?

Some other family members who went to Liverpool were Johann Ernst Specht and his brother Christian Friedrich Specht.  Johann married Katherine Kern and they lived at 41 Athol Street and Christian married Maria Shwab.  They moved about a bit.  Addresses for them are Great Horner Street, Cockspur Street, Southdown Road and in 1901 at 83 Athol Street.

On the other side of my paternal german ancestry is great great grandmother Johanna Christine Diez (1808-) with parents Johann Christian Diez and Fredericke Dorothea Wolfarth, all from Niedernhall.  I'm trying to find out more on my Diez family.

I'd better stop now!  Have a great time in Waiblingen Berlin-Bob.  My Backnang relatives lived all around the area from Neufürstenhütte to Wüstenrot to Ludwigsburg (where my great great grandfather Ellinger found himself in the local prison for falsifying accounts) so if you see any mentions of Ellingers or Rathmanns...........!

Thanks again - am I 'posting' correctly???
Limehouse79
Dünger, Burkert, Diez, Wolfarth, Ellinger, Rathmann, Saile (Germany) and Webb, Pearce, Chegwidden, Trevethan and Bailey (Cornwall)

Offline awahl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi limehouse79

interesting to hear of your Liverpool and, more so, your Athol Street connection....my gggf was a german pork butcher at 273 Athol Street around the 1880's.....he was born in Gross Sottrum (nw germany) but married a fellow german in 1862 in Liverpool....also other addresses around Athol Street.

I have found no photos yet of this street, other than the Police Station near the top, but wonder what it was like......300+ houses and 30+ pubs.  I did think it would be interesting to try to figure out the puzzle by joining numbers and names from the old ordnance survey map and the census returns.

I will check out my info to see if I can find any links with your names.

Regards
wahlers  gerken rosenbrock

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 19:15 BST (UK) »
I have had a breakthrough!!!

I have been struggling to find what happened to my Schmidts after they were last spotted on the 1911 census.  Today, I think I have managed to find them, with the surname Cole (their grandmother's maiden name).  This surprised me slightly, because although I suspected that with rising antagonism to Germany they may have changed their names, I thought that they might Anglicise their surname (to Smith, perhaps).  I didn't think they would decide upon their Grandmother's maiden name because it seems too remote - I could understand using mother's maiden name.

How many other people find that they have name changes, and how do they change their names (e.g. anglicise, random etc)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 21:05 BST (UK) »
How many other people find that they have name changes, and how do they change their names (e.g. anglicise, random etc)

Just a reminder:
the shop in Burnley is a prime example of the anti-German sentiments of that period..

Just as a general reminder that you may need to widen your search -
many germans changed their names due to anti-german sentiments before WW1:

In a similar vein:

I posted some tips on anglicization of emigrant names at
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,11860.0.html
"Sharing Useful Tips: Germany & E.Europe"

includes my favourite name-change of all time:
".. Abraham ben Isaiah, otherwise known as Moses Abraham Groomsfelt, or Jones, a silversmith .."

I also read an account recently, in a family history book, of two brothers Frank Charles DEGENHARDT and Walter DEGENHARDT, who, at the turn of the century, decided their names (their father was a german immigrant) were TOO german:

Walter DEGENHARDT became Walter HART, and
Frank Charles DEGENHARDT became Frank CHARLES  !!

Bob

Regardless of the "why ?" and "to what ?" questions, I'm wondering if we ought to add a field for anglicised names to the database, as this is going to crop up quite often. 

Opinions here please:
Topic: DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups: German Pork Butchers
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,613454.0.html

thanks,
Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 22:09 BST (UK) »
I know of Wittmann changing to Whiteman, Baumann changing to Bowman.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: Thursday 04 October 12 08:24 BST (UK) »
Have put my opinions forward on the database thread.

Apologies for not remembering that the topic had already been covered previously  :-[

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: Thursday 11 October 12 02:37 BST (UK) »
I have had a breakthrough!!!

I have been struggling to find what happened to my Schmidts after they were last spotted on the 1911 census.  Today, I think I have managed to find them, with the surname Cole (their grandmother's maiden name).  This surprised me slightly, because although I suspected that with rising antagonism to Germany they may have changed their names, I thought that they might Anglicise their surname (to Smith, perhaps).  I didn't think they would decide upon their Grandmother's maiden name because it seems too remote - I could understand using mother's maiden name.

Always great news when someone gets a breakthrough, congrats  :D

My wifes family just changed the spelling of their name, as it was pronounced the same in English as it was in German, from Wahl to Wall.
The forenames Christian, Freidrich, Ernst, Willimena have been passed down through the generations to this day, though these have been anglasized to Chris, Fred, Ernie and Mena.

Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: Sunday 14 October 12 18:50 BST (UK) »

The Database for Special Interest Groups (DBSIG): German Pork Butchers is now officially open. :)

There are about 60 records in the database which I gleaned from various pork-butcher topics: most of them only have a surname at present. If you have contributed on this (or any other pork-butcher)  topic, please check if your entries are in the database and edit in any missing details ... and add more family members :)

To get to the database,

- Click on the -Button at the top of any page.

You are now in the RootsChat Reference Library

- Click on the -button

Please add your feedback and queries on
Topic: DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups: German Pork Butchers
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,613454.30.html

Enjoy,
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: Sunday 14 October 12 22:50 BST (UK) »
but you (I) can't edit names that someone else put in can you (I) ?