Author Topic: What happened to Worthy CROOK  (Read 8346 times)

Offline Scrook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Worthy CROOK
« Reply #36 on: Friday 08 March 19 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie

I’ve found an Ann Mellen and Abraham Crook as his possible parents?  It’s not confirmed.
Bax and Lovell were popular middle names in my family.  In Melksham area I read there used to be a Lord Lovell and Lovell House. Maybe they wanted to remember the area where they came from? Also the Braveheart film springs to mind where the Lord demanded rights to sleep with daughter on wedding night but think I’m entering the realms of flights of fantasy here, but who knows? Lovell is a very common middle name in that area.

I’ve attached some research, again it’s not confirmed and why they have question marks after their names.  They were from another relative who’s been doing family history for a while.  As I haven’t got the birth certs or any other certs it’s not confirmed by me.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 08 March 19 13:38 GMT (UK) »
The baptism for Absolom say his mother is Ann Crook with no mention of a father.  This would normally indicate that he was illegitimate.

I would think that the marriage at St Peter, Bolton, Lancashire in 1756 between Ann Mellen & Abraham Crook was unlikely to be the parents of Absalom.  They were both widowed when they married and of the parish of Bolton, Lancashire.  Do you have any evidence that they moved south.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scrook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 08 March 19 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I would have to check with cousin. It will take me a few days.
I thought it unlikely they were his parents which is why I added the ? They did seem to travel for work especially mining, can understand Wiltshire to South Wales as it’s not such a big hop, but Lancashire?  Unless they sent her away to have the baby?

Thanks for looking it up though.