Author Topic: McDevitts in Tyrone?  (Read 2805 times)

Offline charlieboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McDevitts in Tyrone?
« on: Sunday 06 March 05 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Does the surname McDevitt have any connection to Tyrone?
McDevitt, Owey Island, Donegal.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: McDevitts in Tyrone?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 March 05 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Go to

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm

and type in the surname.

This will show you what area/s the name was common in, rough numbers and when.

Hope this helps.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 06 05:53 BST (UK) »
Hiya Charlie,

This site should show several families with the surname McDevitt www.failteromhat.com I am surprised to discover that at the time of Griffiths Valuation in the county in 1851 there were only four families with that surname.

I have for many years associated the name McDevitt with Co. Tyrone thanks to character actor Tom McDevitt, from Strabane, who created the character  "Barney McCool from Coolaghey" http://www.rte.ie/tv/openhouse/2003/1217/TomMcD.html

Do you require further assistance? Have you ancestors you wish to find in the area? Just post the queries and RootsChatters will do their best to provide the answers.

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline charlieboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 May 06 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hey Chris, thanks for the reply. Was just wondering how numerous the surname was around the surrounding counties that border Donegal. The link about Tom McDevitt was interesting, thanks. Yeah, if i've any more queries i'll post them, i find it very helpfull. All the best Charlie.
McDevitt, Owey Island, Donegal.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 May 06 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Charlie,

I was interested in the results when I googled for "Omagh McDevitt" I found a Hannah and a Peter McDevitt who emigrated from Londonderry to St John NB on April 15th 1834 / arriving June 4th 1834 on the Brig Leslie Gault. William McDevitt was a member of the crew. I also found a number of present day McDevitts. Keep your eye open for a weary racing pigeon having a rest. If you are able to pick the bird up and hold it in your hand you may discover that the ring on its leg shows it belongs to a McDevitt. 

I then tried Surname Search http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname This showed me two interesting facts 1) the spelling variations of the name and 2) a full search of Griffiths Valuation of Tyrone will reveal 12 more McDevitts than I originally found.

Best Wishes, Chris