Author Topic: 95th Derbyshire Foot Regiment  (Read 5069 times)

Offline wamsilli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
95th Derbyshire Foot Regiment
« on: Thursday 01 October 09 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm looking for info on David Miller born around 1814, a corporal in the 95th Derbyshire Foot Regiment, which I believe became the Notts & Derby Sherwood Foresters (correct me if I'm wrong, I know nothing about military history.)  He served in Sri Lanka as his son Thomas was born there in 1844 - I have received his birth certificate.  From this certificate I know David's wife was Mary Ann but I would like to know her surname.  I wonder if they married whilst serving abroad and would it be common for fiances to go abroad when still unmarried at that time.  I would like to find out if he came back to England (I know his family did because his son appears in later censuses here. 
I am also looking for more info on his son Thomas who was a sergeant in the same regiment.  I know he served in Ireland (The Curragh) as his first daughter was born there in 1878 and his first son in 1880.  I would like to know if he married whilst in Ireland. His wife was a Lucy Brown.  They appear on the censuses after 1891 so I believe his military connection had stopped by then. 

This is a real shut door for my research at the moment as I don't seem to be able to find anything online.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
Ayre Devon, Rundell Devon, Torrance Derby, Beighton Derbyshire, Warwick Cumbria, Topping Cumbria and Ireland, Tyler, Miller Derby, Pyne Devon, Gilbert Devon

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 95th Derbyshire Foot Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 October 09 17:51 BST (UK) »
The closest match is for a David Miller who served in the 95th Foot between 1825 and 1848, when he was discharged aged 41. His service record is on microfilm in Kew. He was born in Waterford.

Here is the link - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-4011786&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2CDAVID%2CMILLER&accessmethod=0

Normally I would recommend you contact the NA, as they used to charge 40p a page (there will not be many) plus postage. Recent comments by others suggests they are on a bit of a go slow; but I suggest you contact them, and then complain if you get no joy. That said the army did not record details about wives and children then. To get these you need to use the muster books (WO12 in Kew),which tell you where he was each month. You can then search the parish records of places he visited. Also, service records only say 'Home' or 'India' etc, while the musters will give you the actual town or fort.

Only wives were transported by the army; and not all of them got to go abroad. So they either married at home; or she was already out there – the daughter of another soldier perhaps, or she was the widow of a soldier who died out there. This was very common and the problem is that it leaves very little evidence until the 1860s/70s, when they started to record wives in the married roll.

If the son’s papers survive they will be in WO97 in Kew. If you cannot get to Kew, Findmypast will be putting them online by 2011. Even papers this late may not give the wife’s maiden name. The musters should record when they were put on the married roll, so finding their marriage will be a lot easier.

Muster Books were compiled every three or six months (when the men were paid) and four are usually bound together into ledgers. In the periods mentioned the 95th comprised only one battalion, but they would have had a Depot that stayed in the UK. This will have a separate muster book, but they should be bound together in one volume. Muster Books are in WO16 after the mid 1870s.

After 1881 the 95th became the 2nd Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters and musters after this date are filed as such.

Ken

Offline wamsilli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 09 14:04 BST (UK) »
Ken
Thank you for your help. I believe you have the right David Miller - he seems to fit potential dates I have.  I have never contacted the NA before, I have only used their online resources.  Can I just email them asking for info on David Miller or do I need to quote more than that?  I don't suppose you have any ideas about Thomas Miller ?

Sam
Ayre Devon, Rundell Devon, Torrance Derby, Beighton Derbyshire, Warwick Cumbria, Topping Cumbria and Ireland, Tyler, Miller Derby, Pyne Devon, Gilbert Devon

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 09 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam

For David you start by pressing the REQUEST THIS button.

The last three paragraphs refer to researching his son. Basically if you do not want to wait for FindMyPast you will have to employ a researcher. The NA have a list.

Ken

Offline BodieDog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 November 12 10:22 GMT (UK) »
This probably too late but I've only just joined this site.  David Miller was born in Waterford in 1806 and joined the 95th Foot in Manchester in 1825.  He served in Malta, Corfu back to Cork and then to Ceylon where his son Thomas (my great grandfather) was born.  He was discharged in Dublin in 1848.  His wife was Mary Anne but who she was and where she came from, I don't know yet.
Thomas served in Dublin where my great aunt Elizabeth and my great Uncle Thomas F were born.  The rest of the children (6) were all born in Derby.
I haven't been able to find David Miller's birth for sure in Waterford as the Irish records are not available on line.  It may be that he was born in another year and lied to join the Army.
Thomas was put into the Royal Hibernian School in 1855 and then went into the army as a boy soldier in 1859.  Why he went there I don't know.  Was it because he was an orphan at the age of 11?
A lot of the records were destroyed during the troubles and also during WW11 as they were transferred to London.
If you can help me in any way, I would be grateful and vice versa, of course.

Offline wamsilli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 November 12 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Bodiedog. It's very interesting to hear from you.  My last post concerning the Millers was in 2009 and I have had nothing new for three years.  Your post has re-ignited my interest, but I need to refresh my info on this matter.  My husband is the link with the Millers.  Thomas was his gt grandfather. He is descended from Thomas' daughter Edith (his youngest I believe).  I will get back to you with any info or questions when I have looked at it again.  In the meantime I would be interested to know how you fit in with the Millers

Sam

Offline BodieDog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 November 12 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sam

Thomas Miller was my great grandfather too!  I am descended from Lucy Miller who married Harold Moore in 1909.
I have drawn a blank regarding David Miller although he said he was born in Waterford there is absolutely no record of his birth there.  I am hoping to go there after Christmas as my daughter lives just south of Cork. I know that no Irish records are available on line but I'll keep digging and let you know if I have any luck.
Am I right in thinking that Ethel married Fred Torrance?

Bodie dog!

Offline BodieDog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 November 12 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Sam, just a PS  Thomas Miller married Lucy Brown in Cork in 1877.  She came from Gosport and her father was George Brown who was a farmer.
Meant to add this on my previous message but pressed send too quickly!!

Offline wamsilli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 November 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Ok. This is what I have on Thomas Miller:-
Born 13th July 1844 Colombo Sri Lanka and was baptized there 11th August 1844. (Army Returns 1844-46)
Enlisted with 95th Derbyshire Foot Regiment 24th January 1859 I assume in Dublin.  Served at home until October. Promoted to Corporal 28th April 1876, Lance Sergeant 17th April 1877, Drum Major 5th October 1877, Sergeant 1st July 1881 and Colour Sergeant 24th February 1883. (I don't really know the difference between all these ranks - maybe you can help?)
He served in India 7th October 1859 to 3rd November 1870.  All this info I have from correspondence with a very nice man at the archives of the Sherwood Foresters who looked it all up for a small donation.
1871 he lived in the barracks at Alverstoke Hampshire and in Aldershot in 1881. He was discharged 20th January 1884.
He had married a Lucy Brown in Cork on 1st February 1877.  By 1891 they and their growing family had moved to Derby. He died in 1919 I assume in Derby but not sure. I would love to know if Thomas had any siblings. He certainly had a few children - 8 in fact.  Elizabeth and Thomas were born in Ireland, Henrietta, Herbert, Lucy, Maud, Minnie and Edith were all born in Derby
I believe Lucy was born Gosport Hampshire in 1855. She was baptised Alverstoke 21st March 1856. Her mother was an Eliza Scard, but by the age of 5, Lucy had a stepmother Mary and she had gone into service by the age of 15. In fact her mother died in 1857. Lucy died about 1932.

I have much less info on David Miller. He was born 1806 in Waterford and I have no idea on his parentage or siblings.  He enlisted in Manchester 8th November 1825.  He was a weaver by trade.  He was in the Mediterranean for 7 years 10 months and in Sri Lanka for 6 years 4 months.
11th August 1844 he was promoted to Corporal, but demoted to Private 18th September 1845 thanks to a court martial for being drunk on duty at Tralee Barracks. He was discharged 26th August 1848.  I have his death as 22nd January 1883, but I don't know where.  I know nothing about his wife except she may have been born in Limerick around 1814. I don't know anything about Thomas being orphaned.

If you can bring me up to date with any more info I would be grateful.  David Miller has drawn a blank for over ten years in my family research

Sam