Author Topic: Irby in the Marsh Board School 1900s - Completed  (Read 991 times)

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Irby in the Marsh Board School 1900s - Completed
« on: Saturday 03 October 09 12:54 BST (UK) »
Several relatives of mine appear in the 1901 census as school teachers and resident at Irby in the Marsh. The head of the household's entry reads 'Schoolmaster Bd School', which I take to refer to the board school built in 1880.

Does anyone have any experience of or advice on researching this particular school, should the records survive?

I have carried out some superficial searches through search engines, A2A, Lincoln Archives and GenUKI without much success.

Thanks

Clive
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irby in the Marsh Board School 1900s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 October 09 10:32 BST (UK) »

Hi Clive, have you seen this page?

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/schools.html

it's not much help, but may give you some different search ideas.

Skewy

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Irby in the Marsh Board School 1900s
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 October 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.

I have been in touch with the Lincolnshire Archives as I did manage to find some records in the collections catalogue. They have been very helpful and I now have a list of record references together with some links into trade directories.

Whether I will ever be able to access these records directly or afford to be able to hire a researcher is another question.

Clive

ps If anyone else is looking for this specifically the information is:

From 1881 until 1903 the management of the school was in the hands of the Firsby United District School Board. In 1903 the School Boards were abolished and the management of the school passed into the hands of the Lindsey County Council.

The following items relate to the school and its management:
SR/504/1/1   Managers' minute book, 1910-1943
SR/504/8/1   Head Teacher's log book, 1881-1904
SR/504/8/2   Head Teacher's log book, 1904-1929
SR/504/9/1   Pupils' Admission register, 1881-1940
SBR/032/3/1   School Board Treasurer's account book, 1890-1903 [may include salaries]
Lindsey County Council Education Committee/1903 Returns School Board/89   

Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk