Author Topic: Grandfathers Job Description 1910  (Read 3161 times)

Offline aginger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandfathers Job Description 1910
« on: Saturday 03 October 09 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all, my wife,s Gramp  William Edward Harris died in the Wolverhampton Hospital in 1910 aged 35,on the cert, it gives the address they lived at as, CRITERION WORKS HOUSE,Bilston Road Willenhall his job being an "ENGINE TURNER"
Could any rootschatter have knowledge of what these works manufactured and possibly what an engine turner was?? its taken several years to find his death because his wife Annie Louise re married in 1911 in Coventry,thanks all   Allen.
Williams,Lloyd Williams[N  Wales]
Hughes, Painter ,Giles,Heath,Bourton,Sansum,Legg,[Wilts]
 Giles, Gilles, Gyles, [Glos/Oxon]

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfathers Job Description 1910
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 October 09 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Allen

I can't find a reference to the Criterion Works - except in a list of chimneys!

However, Willenhall was famous for engineering and more specifically key and lock making.

Here are some websites with general information:

http://jshercliff.demonweb.co.uk/willenhallhistory/aboutwillenhall.htm

http://jshercliff.demonweb.co.uk/willenhallhistory/wudchistory.htm

A turner used a lathe to engineer parts with smooth surfaces.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 October 09 16:50 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline aginger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Arranroots, its made her day!!  When he married in 1898, his job was "cycle fitter" His son William Edward [bn 1901] told me in the 60,s that his dad guarded a factory and had a guard dog, so,  he probably lived "on site "at the CRITERION Bicycle Factory, Bilston Road Willenhall.
Thanks to JIM BOULTON,s list on that site you listed all is revealed.
I knew JIM years ago ,his signed book is here, due to me owning a "Carfield motorcycle"[1922]Made in Windmill Lane Smethwick and he wrote about the company in Vehicles of the Black Country,a lot of the Bicycle makers went on to make motorcycles!!
Allen.
Williams,Lloyd Williams[N  Wales]
Hughes, Painter ,Giles,Heath,Bourton,Sansum,Legg,[Wilts]
 Giles, Gilles, Gyles, [Glos/Oxon]

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:36 BST (UK) »
Well, well! I'm happy that it all fits so neatly!

I confess I don't know a great deal about motorcycles, but there are some great photos of my Scots uncles on them in the 1950s.  Only went on the back of one once (so far!!)

;D