Author Topic: Searching in Lambeth, Surrey for Edumund Symmons  (Read 6041 times)

Offline roby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching in Lambeth, Surrey for Edumund Symmons
« on: Sunday 04 October 09 07:10 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

I am hoping someone may know where I could search next for Edmund Symmons (bookbinder) b. abt 1786 baptism.  All censuses indicate born Lambeth, Surrey. 
I have searched  St Mary Lambeth, Holy Trinity Clapham, St Leonard Streatham. St Mathew Brixton (although on the LMA ancestry this is limited) All Saints Laleham and because his brother was baptised in Christchurch Surrey I have searched there also.   :'(
His other siblings were baptised St. Mary Lambeth and I have found these.   :

I have access to the LMA baptisms from ancestry, but I am at my wits end where to go next.  ???
I am unsure of when Lambeth parish  left Surrey and went to London, and I am confused about this.   
Would anyone be able to enlighten and point me in the right direction. 
Many thanks
Roby

completed
Davis/Davies Wales
Moyle Cornwall
Edington Berwickshire
Fisher Kirkcudbrightshire
McLeod Skye
Louden, Greenhill,  Fife
Robeson Lancashire
Sharman  Northamptonshire
Simpson Westmorland
Symmons, Vincent Middlesex
Wealands Sunderland, Durham

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Searching in Lambeth, Surrey for Edumund Symmons
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 October 09 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Roby,
According to GENUKI GRO reg. districts, Lambeth became a part of London in 1889.
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/lambeth.html
You seemed to have searched in all the right places so consider these two possibilities,
1.  He wasn't baptised
                or
2.  He was baptised some considerable time after his birth, either as a boy or even as an adult.

I have one ancestor who got himself baptised the day of his wedding  ::)

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Peter H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 09 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Roby,

East Surrey Family History Society have been transcribing St Mary Lambeth's registers for some time and will be publishing baptisms soon (a lot of the marriages and burials have already been published). The advantage over Ancestry (apart from the accuracy of transcription I suspect) is that the entries have been indexed. I have been looking through the draft baptisms and found your Edmund. He is there as Edmund SIMMONDS, son of Francis and Mary and was baptised on 15 March 1786.

Good luck with the next stage.

Peter

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 08:37 BST (UK) »
 ;D NICE ONE PETER  ;D

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline salcombeborn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Edmund Symmons born 1786 was my ggggrandfather. Good timing, as I too was stuck on this, but just this morning I found info. about his marriage to Mary Ann Eagles on 2nd November 1811 in the presence of Thomas Symmons and Charlotte Sophie Symmons - who are hopefully (!) his parents.  This was on new London Parish records.  Do get in touch, would love to know if we are related.  Virginia.

Offline salcombeborn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Am new to this website.  I was browsing and suddenly saw the name Edmund Symmons b. 1786. I have replied to Roby with my info., saying that I had just found the parents (hopefully) of Edmund, Thomas and Charlotte Sophie, but my problem is going back from there.  I wonder if you have any ideas?  Thank you.  Virginia

Offline Peter H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 October 09 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Virginia,

I'm afraid you have jumped to the wrong conclusion about Edmund's parents. His parents are Francis and Mary SIMMONDS (or SYMMONS or any other of the several variations that appear in the registers!) as I pointed out in my reply to Roby. The Thomas and Charlotte Sophia that were witnesses at Edmund's marriage were in fact his brother and sister. They were baptised on31 August 1788 and 11 September 1791 respectively at St Mary Lambeth.

You need to search for the marriage of Francis SIMMONDS to Mary, I would suggest around 1786, as I don't believe there were any other children born before that, although there could have been some baptised elsewhere of course, so give it a wide range. I haven't had a chance to look at the St Mary Lambeth marriage register yet, but I will try to do so soon.

I'm not sure you will get much of a response from Roby in the near future, as she doesn't appear to have logged on to the web site since leaving her query nearly a month ago. Perhaps she is on a long holiday.

Regards

Peter

Offline salcombeborn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 October 09 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.  You're right.  It occurred to me after I'd logged off that they could be bro. and sis. Had a whole host of emails from Carol Middleton who is researching this family with me, confirming this and giving the info. you also kindly gave. We are chipping away at this family (Edmund is my direct relative) so any bright thoughts you may have in future would be most welcome.  Virginia

Offline roby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

Thank you everyone for your enthusatic replies.    Yes Peter I have been on a long holiday and I have just logged in after replying to Virginia via Genes Reunited re: Charlotte and Thomas being siblings.

I believe I have located other siblings, Francis Simmons born to Francis Simmons and Mary 3/10/1775, baptised 29/10/1775 at Christchurch Southwark.  On this baptism it notes father as Francis Blair Simmons, a surveyor  Many thanks to the curate who recorded this, you can be lucky sometimes  :D

I have also located an Elizabeth Simmons, parents Francis and Mary Simmons, baptised 31/1/1784 at St. Mary's Lambeth.

On the IGI a marriage exists between a Mary Faulkner and Francis Symmons on 25/9/1774, just right for Francis bapt in 10/1775.   The marriage states he was of St. Martin's in the Field.   I then find a baptism for a Francis Blayer (?Blair) Symmons on 7/1/1750 at St. Martins in the Field (IGI) with parents Edward Symmons and Frances I then find a marriage for a Edward Symmons and Frances Allen who were married 14/2/1774 (IGI).   
An Edward Symmons and Frances also had other children Frances x2 (? 2 baptisms) or 2 births and Catherine (IGI).
I would be keen to hear everyone's thoughts on these findings and  assumptions.
I have researched extensively on this family and am happy to share what I have found. 

Am I correct in assuming that some of the Westminister parishes are not on the LMA??

Peter, am I able to obtain a copy of the baptism or do I need to wait until they are available on line ???  many heartfelt  thanks for this information as I have spent many hours perusing the L MA.   So good work.  :)

I look forward to hearing everyones thoughts on these findings.

Regards
Roby
Davis/Davies Wales
Moyle Cornwall
Edington Berwickshire
Fisher Kirkcudbrightshire
McLeod Skye
Louden, Greenhill,  Fife
Robeson Lancashire
Sharman  Northamptonshire
Simpson Westmorland
Symmons, Vincent Middlesex