Author Topic: Jersey baptism: Joseph Camillor  (Read 1819 times)

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jersey baptism: Joseph Camillor
« on: Sunday 04 October 09 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone could offer any advice to help with my search for my gggg grandfather, Joseph Camillor please? 

Until yesterday, I believed that he was born in Portugal about 1790 - he states this on the 1851 census, saying he was born in Lisbon. I can't find him on the 1841 census, and he died in 1859.

Joseph was a gunner in the Royal Navy, and yesterday I went to Kew to look up some muster rolls. I had already discovered that he was involved with the Bombardment of Algiers in 1816 so this was a starting point.

However, when I found him on the HMS Queen Charlotte  from 1816-1822, I discovered that he consistently states his birthplace as Jersey! I am intrigued as to why there are 2 different birthplaces given by Joseph in the different sources.

I wonder if anyone could advise how I could go about checking possible baptisms in Jersey for Joseph please? All I know is he was born about 1790.

Many thanks in advance,
Sophie
Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jersey baptism: Joseph Camillor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Sophie

I've searched all the baptism records in Jersey for JC and cannot find one I'm afraid.

Stewart

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jersey baptism: Joseph Camillor
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Thank you so much for doing this for me, I really appreciate it. There must be more to Joseph Camillor than meets the eye- I think perhaps Portugal is where the answer lies after all.

Thanks again,
Sophie
Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex