Author Topic: Help in looking for harry turner  (Read 3991 times)

Offline katiesymonds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help in looking for harry turner
« on: Sunday 04 October 09 23:05 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find Harry Battye Fisher Turner. He was born in Boston Spa Yorkshire England on 5th February 1886. He moved to Canada not sure when and married a Helen Donald( a scottish girl) in Welland Canada on 24th April 1919. He moved back to Inverurie Aberdeenshire Scotland soon after. According to living family relatives... he walked out on Helen and her family whilst staying in Inverurie around 1922 and was never seen/heard of again. I wondered if he had moved back to Canada as I am having problems tracking him down anywhere in the UK. I know when he was living in Canada he joined the Canadian Armed forces. Any information would be very gratefully received as I am now well and truly stumped on this one.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help in looking for harry turner
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 October 09 00:39 BST (UK) »
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca
under Soldiers of the First World War
Harry Turner
Reg.#132206, RG150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 9837-22
DOB 05/02/1886

I think this is your Harry Turner as information matches for DOB and place of birth. He enlisted in Montreal Sept. 4, 1915 and his next of kin is his wife Helen Turner. Are yo sure of the marriage date of 1919 as it appears he was married in 1915. You can order his military file through the on-line site above. You may get quite a bit of information from the military files but at least this is a starting point for you.

I did check automated genealogy for the 1911 census for Welland and didn't find either a Harry Turner or Helen Donald/Turner.
You can try searching in Montreal for them on the 1911 census.
I will keep looking and if I find anything else I will post it.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 09 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie

Maybe I can't see for looking - I can't seem to find his birth registration on FreeBMD?
Was he registered as FISHER or TURNER?

Ok I see it now  ;D
Registered as Harry FISHER -Wetherby - Mar Qtr 1886
His parents George TURNER and Alice Maude FISHER's marriage is registered in the Jun Qtr 1886.

How does the "Battye" come in?

If he went to the trouble to hide his identity as a deserting husband/father - he could  have used the name FISHER, his birth cert name -  to travel, remarry, live, death -  in either another country or in the UK. Which makes the possibilities all the more daunting.

Did Helen remarry?
Did Harry have a particular trade?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 09 01:05 BST (UK) »
www.findmypast.com
checked Ancestors on board for Harry Turner for passengers leaving the UK
Harry Turner b. 1886 to Canada 1911
                     b. 1886 to USA 1927 port Boston
I don't have a membership to this site but 1927 seems the correct time line for the information that you provided.
Sometimes military records contain information regarding pensions and followup medical records and even death information so it is probably a good starting point for you.
I checked the census for Montreal for 1911 and couldn't find him there. It is possible that he married Helen Donald  in Welland and then moved to Montreal.
Will keep looking

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 09 01:16 BST (UK) »
Harry Battye Fisher Turner, clerk, 27, resident of Welland for approx. 1 year, b. York England, s/o George Turner and Alice Maude Fisher married Nellie Donald, 20, b. Aberdeen Scotland, d/o John Donald and Christina Simms on April 24, 1913 at Welland, Ontario.

Debbie

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 October 09 01:20 BST (UK) »
www.ancestry.ca or ancestry.com
Harry Battye Fisher Turner
Spouse: Nellie Turner
Mother: Alice Maud Fisher Turner
Father: George Turner
under Ontario marriages
I can't check the actual information for you but you can look at the site and see if you think it is worth joining or doing the 14 free trial. Preliminary info looks like they were married in Ontario and that Helen AKA Nellie (not unusual)
Good luck.
This site also has passenger information. Keep digging and good luck
Val

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 October 09 03:30 BST (UK) »
There is an online ancestry tree with Harry Battye Fisher Turner on it.   They have his marriage in 1913 to Helen and show his address in 1901 as 23 Clarence St. York.  His death is given as before 22 May 1950 which is when his son Harry Fisher Turner died in Aberdeen. 

If Harry was supposed to be in Canada in 1901 I haven't been able to find him on that census.

Debbie

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 October 09 05:01 BST (UK) »
Valeriec mentioned Harry Turner leaving the UK in 1927, arriving in Boston.

The immigration record states: Harry Turner was age 41, married.  He was naturalized in Boston in 1920.  His address was 19? Colby St, Medford, Massachusetts.  It appears that he didn't sail at that time, as his name is crossed out.

1930 census for Medford, MA.  19 Colby Street: Harry Turner and his wife and child.  Harry immigrated in 1906.  He was a carpenter.  His son was 13 years old, so it appears this Harry is not yours.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline katiesymonds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 21:35 BST (UK) »
I am still looking into the possibilities that have been posted on here. Might take me a bit of time.. but I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your help/interest.
Ambly... Can I just ask where you found this information for me to have a look myself... thanks
Cosmac... the online ancestry tree is in fact me. Thanks anyway.
Harry Battye Fisher turner is my husbands gggrandather and he seems to have just disappeared. Its interesting to think he may have been illegitimate but a whole new look on it. Thanks.... Ill keep looking but I would be really grateful for any information that any of you may unearth. Its definately a Symonds family mystery.