Author Topic: Kelk family disapearance  (Read 7595 times)

Offline sunshine18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kelk family disapearance
« on: Monday 05 October 09 03:40 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find the Kelk family. They appear on the 1841 but no further censuses. George KELK and Mary PEARSON married 1824 KILLAMARSH, DERBY.
On the 1841 census George is listed as being born in about 1801 Derbyshire but I have found no baptism for him in the area and Mary PEARSON about 1805 Derbyshire. I have found her baptism in 1805 BALBOROUGH DERBY. Their children are John born 1824, dosent appear on the census, Ann born 1828, George born 1831, Elizabeth born 1833, Mary born 1836, William born 1839, and Catherine born 1841. Can anyone find this family or members of in further censuses or give me a clue about where they may have gone.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: Kelk family disapearance
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 October 09 04:03 BST (UK) »

Hi

This may be them..

1851 Census England Yorkshire Attercliffe Cum Darnell
HO107/2342/511/50
School Hill

KELK
George Head Marr 50 Cordwainer Derbyshire Killamarsh
Mary Wife Marr 45 Derbyshire Balbro
Martha Dau Unmarr 25 At Home Derbyshire Killamarsh
Elizabeth Dau Unmarr 17 At Home Derbyshire Balbro
William Son Unmarr 18 Cordwainer Derbshire Balbro
Sarah Dau Unmarr 7 Scholar Derbyshire Balbro
Harriett Dau Unmarr 4 Yorkshire Attacliffe
John Grandson Unmarr 5 Yorkshire Sheffield

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 09 04:10 BST (UK) »

And again..

1861 Census England Yorkshire Attacliffe and Darnell
RG9/3500/143/2
Worksop Road Church Street # 71

KELK
Mary Head Widow 58 Derbyshire Balborough
Sarah Dau Unmarr 17 Servant Yorkshire Attacliffe
John Grandson Unmarr 15 Labourer in Brickyard Yorkshire Attacliffe
Mary Ann Grandaughter Unmarr 2 Yorkshire Attacliffe

There was a Martha KELK in 1841, female servant aged 14 in the house of Samuel and Nancy BIGGIN, Dronfield Derbyshire.  This could well be the Martha that was with the family in the 1851 Census.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tuppie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Arnold Ridge Lee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 09 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi.

As George disappears between 1851-1861 this could be his burial at Attercliffe Christ Church.

3rd August 1858.
George KELK aged 58 of Attercliffe.

Then at Attercliffe Municipal cemetery. Grave number A1724 nc.
nc=non-consecrated.

16th October 1870
Mary KELK aged 65, Widow of Baldwin St Attercliffe.

Tuppie
LEE, ROSE, Mosborough/Eckington<br />TREWEEK, HARDWICK.Cornwall/Derbyshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
www.sheffieldindexers.com

Offline Tyblodwen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 October 10 19:32 BST (UK) »
Martha Kelk was my Great Great Great step Grandmother. She was the third wife of Joseph Hill Appleton who was a Chemist and Druggist in Attercliffe/ Darnall Sheffield. She is listed on later census as being a Librarian although she had previously been in service as is already mentioned she was born just over the border in Killamarsh Derbyshire to a family of cordwainers. I have been doing some work on the family, they proved difficult for me too especially tracing her maiden name!

Offline Informer.

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 17:51 BST (UK) »
My great, great grandfather was Joseph Hill Appleton (Chemist) and I am descended from his second marriage to  Ann Appleton (nee Webster).
He married Martha Kelk his third wife (Spinster) in Attercliffe on July 8th 1853 Joseph was 42 and Martha was 27, she was the daughter of George Kelk a Shoemaker.
They had two children, Josephine b 1853 who married Frederick Foster Hibbert of Sheffield clerk to the American consul and Mary Ann Appleton b 1855 in Attercliffe.

Offline Tyblodwen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 18:13 BST (UK) »
In reply to 'Informer'. It would seem in that case that we are consequently distantly related. There are a number of things that are interesting about Joseph Hill Appleton, but the two things that most intrigue me are the family stories of him having spent time in Jamaica and the link to the Meynell family that I have not been able to verify with documentary evidence. I am aware of some family graves in Great Ayton. We also have a photograph of a portrait of Mary Meynell, but cannot trace the original or exactly who was this Mary Meynell. Would be delighted if some light could be thrown on this please. I am from Amy Bertha Appleton's line.

Mark.

Offline jk137

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 August 11 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Im not completely sure however some of the names you said sound like they could be my ancestors, one name that stands out who I have heard about a number of times is John. Over the course of my families history very common initials have been JK like myself. I am Joe Kelk however a lot of John Kelks have been in the family history. If you came across a Sir John William Kelk in the records earlier than those dates this is my family history. A few years ago my grandfather, John Kelk was contacted by an Elizabeth Kelk. This woman was no relation to me however she had been doing research into her family ancestry and came across a timeline steming back to over 1000 years ago. After tracking this timeline she discovered she was not actually any relation to this family. However she traced it back to my great great grandfather who my grandfather can verify. Then just after this my aunt was on a weekend trip to a place in Yorkshire where she came across two gravestones, one for Sir John William Kelk and a Lady Elizabeth Kelk. Now as I say the timeline extends back just over 1000 years, the timeline starts in France. Then around 900 years ago comes up again in England with the same family which is then traced all over the country before eventually ending with me the only current generation Kelk. Like I said this could be a different family or could be related somehow.

Offline Kat Kelk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • im fun loud and will talk to anyone about anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 December 14 23:49 GMT (UK) »
hi
I'm not sure if we are related but I'm a kelk from darbyshire and most of my family live in and around barlbough and worksop... Ive just stared looking up my family history so not sure if i can help but its worth a shot