Author Topic: Occupation Artisan could this be a Railway Engine Driver ?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline eeyores4me

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Occupation Artisan could this be a Railway Engine Driver ?
« on: Wednesday 07 October 09 22:32 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out where My Aunts Mother was born ??
According to her Marriage Cert her Fathers occupation was Artisan ??? The family I am looking at who I am more or less sure is right on the 1911 Census has the Father as a Railway Engine Driver ??? could this be the same man ???

She is Josephine Keegan born abt 1896 in Ireland we think ??
Married in Cork in 1920
Father Patrick Keegan
Any ideas welcome

Guttentag Keen Kemp Knight Miller Muller Rose Weinberg Weisberg

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation Artisan could this be a Railway Engine Driver ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
An artisan is a craftsman or a skilled worker who practices some trade or handicraft
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline eeyores4me

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 23:22 BST (UK) »
hi and thanks , thats what I thought but somebody who said she had studied The irish said it was possible ???
I dont really know a lot about researching Irish facts if he was a Craftsman of some kind would he be in a directory of sorts ???

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 09 13:59 BST (UK) »
I few thoughts for you on this ...

It certainly appear from the census and Mary Kate's birth that the Patrick Keegan you located on the census has been an Engine driver for at least 20 years -  back to when he was in his early 30s... 

I suppose it's possible that by the time of Josephine's marriage (what year was this?) he had retired from engine driving (he's 51 in 1911) and taken on a different kind of work ?

I'd say it's worth ordering that Mary Josephine Keehan birth cert you mentioned... just to check if the surname is a mistake and to prove or disprove if she has Patrick & Mary as parents. Maybe the 1st and second names were mixed up also and her name was meant to read Josephine Mary Keegan ? 

(see also related post on the Keegan family - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,410060.0.html)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline eeyores4me

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 October 09 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Shane ,Josephine married in 1920 and I had not thought that maybe he had retired and was doing something else when she married .
A kind person had got a Birth Cert for a Mary Kate Keegan born 1891 to this Patrick and now she has got another one for a Bridget Keegan born 1896 to same parents but she cannot find one for Josephine so we are wondering if this Bridget was really Josephine ?
I did notice that on 1911 they have 4 children born 2 died ?? so maybe this Bridget was one of the ones that died ???
I do wish the 1901 Census for Ireland was available .