Author Topic: 1870s Norfolk HELP  (Read 3280 times)

Offline LeedsHipPriest69

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1870s Norfolk HELP
« on: Wednesday 07 October 09 22:53 BST (UK) »
Some of my ancestors appear to originate from Norfolk.

They appear to have moved from Norfolk to Leeds Yorkshire in the 1870s.

Can anyone help by explaining anything which might have happened in Norfolk which made them relocate to Leeds ?
Benn (Yorkshire), Cock (Ashill, Norfolk), Dickinson (Newton on Trent and Saxilby, Lincolnshire)  Rhodes (Yorkshire), Tew (Shropshire/Staffordshire), Wilks (Yorkshire)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: 1870s Norfolk HELP
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 23:08 BST (UK) »
hi,,,i can give you a possible explanation,,a bit simplistic,,but ,,,there were many ,many instances of very poor people,,,especially from rural areas such as Norfolk,Suffolk,etc....who were basically transported to the industrial cities to work in the mills etc.What i mean by transported is,,,,there are many documented cases of agents in the pay of the big mills and other industries,who would be paid a commision to get workers. These agents would operate predominantly in the poorer rural areas of the country... There are records of these activities,,but i  am unsure where you could find them..  Just a theory on my part.  Iam sure there are rootschatters who have come across this type of thing before who can help. I will have a google on the subject and try and give you an idea of what i mean,,,or you could do it yourself....not sure what subject to google for though !!!  regards,,Mike.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1870s Norfolk HELP
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 09 19:24 BST (UK) »
Farming was in decline, many Suffolks and Norfolks moved north to work in the mines etc.Hoever there are many other reasons as have been suggested..
Researching My Family in Norfolk.
Barker-Barnard-Brooks-Bush.
Eagling-Fincham-Goddard-Gooch.
Hammond-Johnson-Long.
Musk-Mickleborough/Mickleburgh.
Oakley- Parker-Potter-Smith-Wright...