Author Topic: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton  (Read 61726 times)

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton
« Reply #81 on: Monday 11 January 10 18:10 GMT (UK) »

There is a burial via the NBI for a Ambrose in St Edmund the Bishop Sedgefield in 1843 aged 80 that would give a birth date c 1763?? Could this be the Ambrose b in Blackwell 1761.

Eeny, meany, miney, mo......   ??? ??? ;)

It appears that this Ambrose moved from Blackwell, because of the lack of burials in Darlington, so I suppose he could be a good candidate for Sedgefield.

Regards,
Colin

Offline Burnside

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 11 January 10 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the responses.

In reply to Gary's post, we don't know Elizabeth's date of birth (or death) but we know she married (very unhappily - but that's another saga) in 1821. Ambroseis described as her father at Elizabeth's husband's bigamy trial.

We presume the info for AB's DC was given by his wife Sarah. There is also a lot of inconsistent info about her age - we don't think her information can be relied on - she had a drinking problem and after AB's death, placed their daughter Ann into an orphanage. (Ann later commited highway robbery but that's another saga).

We speculated that Sarah might have been a second wife and not the mother of Elizabeth because there is probably a 8-10 year gap between children. 

In reply to Colin's post, the age of 17 is quite clear on the regimental paper. Its very different to the 3's written nearby in what appears the same handwriting.

Not having seen the original of the DC, we speculated that the age might have actually been a 4 written in one stroke with on open top- not a point that could be misintrepreted as a 6 but that doesn't help because all the younger ABs appeared to be accounted for.

Janet

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,

That's an interesting post. It's crossed my mind quite often that some of the Burnsides might be leading double lives. How often have we seen that an Ambrose born XXXX with wife Elizabeth , and then an Ambrose born about the same time with a different wife and family.

Then it's up to us to try and piece it all together, and there's not enough of them to go round, especially when a birthplace is given and there's only one candidate .

Perhaps a different train of thought might be needed ??? ???

Colin

Offline verezzi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Found two stray Burnside records though people might have them already,

Both in the Denton records for Gainford Darlington (in the BTs), George Cowley and Lavinia Burnside (who I mentioned in earlier posts) turn up there in Nov 1824 living in Walworth and seem to stay there, after which there were the following two baptism records:

Oct 16th 1825 Joseph illegitimate son of Hannah Burnsides of Walworth, Single Woman.

Aug 14th 1836 William son of William Burnsides and Mary Goldsborough, of Walworth, labourer.

That's all I could see in terms of records, they seem to flit in and then out again. Might help somebody, probably just add more befuddlement though,

Dan :)
Durham: Hall, Wilkinson, Taggart, Woodcock, Watson, Gray, Wood, Cummings, Wheldon, Robinson, Cowley, Perkins, Burnside, Corby
Yorkshire: Petty, Blenkiron, Stabler, Garforth.
Northumberland: Wood, Hall, Wilkinson.
Lincolnshire: Bavin, Cook, Graves/Greaves, Catten
Gloucestershire: Smith, Jones, Wheeler
Ireland: Taggart, Workman.
Warwickshire: Commander, Betts.
Staffordshire/Worcestershire: Perkins, Commander, Plant, Nock, Guest, Hackett

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 06:03 GMT (UK) »

Oct 16th 1825 Joseph illegitimate son of Hannah Burnsides of Walworth, Single Woman.

Hi Dan
Thanks for that information. It has set the my mind racing. I wondered if this Hannah was the one that was born to Vina in Dalton le Dale in 1806. It certainly seems a possibility given that Lavina/Vina & George are close by in 1824. There is a marriage for Hannah Burnside & Michael Rowe in Gainford in 1830. I have a gut feeling that this is the Joseph I seek.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline verezzi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 08:53 GMT (UK) »
I thought this about Hannah too but hadn't checked her age, have now and you're right this is presumably Vina/Lavinia's daughter. There was also a Mary Burnside who lived as an agricultural labourer in Denton and was the toll house keeper for Gainford, in one census she had a daughter with her called Jane and a granddaughter called Sarah Burnside, I write down once that she might be Lavinia's mother but I've not verified that yet. If you do turn out to be descended from Lavinia, Hannah etc it's worth knowing that Oak Tree Cottage the house where they lived near Walworth Gate is still there.

Durham: Hall, Wilkinson, Taggart, Woodcock, Watson, Gray, Wood, Cummings, Wheldon, Robinson, Cowley, Perkins, Burnside, Corby

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dan
Thanks for the info on Oak Tree. The Mary you mention is proving problematic, unusual for a Burnside to be problematic ;D. I have found her as a widow on one census and as unmarried on another?? In an earlier post you mention Joseph of Oak Tree house as Lavina's father do you know if that is in the BT's?

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline verezzi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I found Joseph in the BTs for Saint Cuthbert's Church Darlington- 14th Aug 1785- might have been in Cockerton if the option is available, on census she is always described as from Cockerton rather than the alternative Blackwell Lavinia. The father is a 'Joseph' described as a farmer's hind and residence of Oak Tree House which I don't think is quite near enough to be the same farm near Walworth Gate where Lavinia ends up. I found this just on a whim though not in any carefully organised way so I can't say I've found any other records relating to Joseph yet, it's always on my next thing to do list- I'm normally very thorough but have only really tackled the Burnsides here and there more out of curiousity. Hope this helps,

Offline verezzi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 11:38 GMT (UK) »
P.S. If possible, could you let me know if you ever find Hannah Burnside/Michael Rowe/Joseph Burnside on any census as I seem to have failed miserably there...

Cheers,