Author Topic: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton  (Read 61567 times)

Offline stroudie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 22:46 GMT (UK) »
These Burnsides are a fascinating bunch. I hope I am related to them!

Does anyone have any photos?

Julie

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie
Are you sure you would like to be related to the Burnside/s clan ;D.
I have only seen one supposed photograph, and that is for Jonas b c 1825. It is attached to a tree on ancestry, so read into that what you will :-\
On the subject of Jonas the one thing I know for certain is that his parents were Edward & Sarah, but which Edward & Sarah? My little excel book shows;
Edward baptised 7th Dec 1824 Aycliffe parents Edward & Sarah. died as an infant?? I have not found this as yet.
Edward baptised 24th July 1825 Sadberge parents Edward & Sarah. I believe this is the Edward that died in 1847
Jonas baptised 10th Dec 1825 Aycliffe parents Edward & Sarah. The places of baptisms and dates of Edward & Jonas raises a few questions.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline stroudie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary

Thanks. I have had a look at the photo. He looks a smart man, but I don't recognise him!

Interestingly, he appears on various trees with differing parents and some claim death in USA.

I also looked for public member trees for Mary Burnside. There are several others, but 'mine' only features once, with no descendants and no trace after 1851. So either she died, or she used another name with no recorded marriage under Burnside. All the circumstantial evidence leads me to believe she was aka Bradley and Smith, before marrying Charles Grout, but I just can't prove it.

Thanks for the Jonas information. I need to get a pen and paper and try and get my head around who's who.

Incidentally, have you ever come across the name Wingrove or Wingrave in your searches? Mary's son, Joseph Smith gives this only on his marriage certificate as his middle name. At marriage he gave his father as Joseph Wingrove Smith. He was married in Guisborough and the witnesses were not known family members. I can't find any suitable Wingrove or Wingrove Smiths. He does not use the name in census records and I haven't found a birth registration or baptism for him, or for Joseph Bradley, b Guisborough, same age son of Mary Bradley, next door to John Burnside.

You'll be as batty as me soon!

Julie

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie
As Batty as you?? I am on my third straight jacket ;D.
I have looked at all the trees on Ancestry and the one that seems to be closest to being right is the one with the photograph of Jonas. They at least have his father right and mother as unknown. My policy with trees on Ancestry is always to take them with a pinch of salt. You know the rules of this game, check, double check and when you think you have got it right check again and then get a second opinion ;D.
I shall continue to hunt for Burnsides and should I find any sign of your Mary under any guise I wil let you know ;D
As yet no sign of Wingrove/Wingrave but the name is etched in my mind  ;D ;D ;D

Gary

Offline lanelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
        Gary!if all those trees are wrong, then that must be because yours is right. I could sit with a Burnside or anyone else and take first hand info from them with no promise of it being correct.
Due to the new info on that tree, i have Ann1822 down toSadberge, then Edward up to Aycliffe, back down to Sadberge for another Edward, then up to Aycliffe for Jonas. Havnt you realised this was the early family planning, forerunner of the rhythm method.
So you both need pictures to go with the words( reminds me of the Beano)
if i gave you one, would you believe it was a Burnside, you would only have my word, same as i would put into a tree.
                            Fred

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 10 December 09 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred
Strangely my tree is correct up to the Joseph Burnside that I started this thread with. I have been unable to find his parents. So I suppose I have done, as many before me have done and try to build family units in the hope something turns up. As yet I have only found one Jonas and his parents were Edward & Sarah and not William & Elizabeth as many of the trees I have come across have. Of course there could well be a Jonas born to William & Elizabeth but there is not a reference to the source. No source no entry into the main tree is my way of doing it.
I do have lots of little side trees that are mainly for reference.

Post modified due to incorrect info.

Gary

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 17 December 09 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I came across this entry in the BT's for Dalton-Le-Dale (indexed as Calton-Le-Dale) for the baptism of Hannah Burnside illegitimate daughter of Vina Burnside of Alm Tree House Darlington in 1806. Just wondered if anyone had anymore on this Vina, I suspect its Lavina but which one I have nothing on Lavina as yet.

Added: Forgot to give the image number 77

Gary

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 17 December 09 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary,

I suspect Alm Tree House will turn out to be Elmtree House which is on Honeypot Lane, and probably by coincidence is very near to the Honeypot Camp Site for travelling families. Honeypot lane, also known as the Black Path, runs across to West Auckland Road in the Faverdale area of Darlington, and near to Bottom House and Holly House.

Hope this helps,
Colin

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 18 December 09 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

Thanks for the info on Elmtree House it certainly helps give an idea of the area. I did notice a Burnside clan as farmers at Brankin Moor not to far from Faverdale.

Gary