Author Topic: ROBERTSON-MCLEOD, 1800's Nova Scotia  (Read 20091 times)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERTSON-MCLEOD, 1800's Nova Scotia
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 October 09 14:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry about the mixup in dates. I was looking at the marriage date as birth date. However, any of the Robinson/Robertson that you find in the Colchester area are probably all related to each other in some way so don't discount anything that you may find.
The marriage bond between Christiana McLeod and Patrick Peters in on the novascotiagenealogy.com site.
It is listed as Marriage bond, 7 May 1819 Halifax County, reg. year 1819, book 1800, page 4336.
It mentions Patrick Peters, labourer and James Fulton, Farmer of Swine. There must be a connection between James Fulton and Christiana McLeod. You can look at the actual marriage bond on-line at this site.
Surprisingly, families moved quite often when you look at the conditions at the time. You will find the families living in different townships so don't discount anything that you find. In my research of the Crowes, Staples and Barnhills in the late 1700's, early 1800's I covered areas including Windsor, Pictou, Tatmagouche, Stewiacke, Londonderry and Portapique.  I was amazed at the distances these people were willing to move for a new life. I have been looking through as many sites as possible trying to find when the Robinsons/Robertsons may have arrived in Canada but no luck as yet.  I didn't find anything about them in the Thomas Miller Book that is on-line for Colchester County. His book covers all the early families and their descendants into the 1800's.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 October 09 17:22 BST (UK) »
Have you looked under the resources section for Canada. Under Nova Scotia research, you will find some amazing links that you may be able to pursue.
I'm not sure exactly where you got the information on the deaths in 1872 for Ellen McLeod and William Robertson but they are on  novascotiagenealogy.com but the information for Ellen McLeod is a bit confusing. The year 1872, book 1813, page 113, number 101 and 102.
William Robertson, age 80, married, born in Scotland, Parents name Robert and Eliz ? Robertson, occupation Farmer
d. 12 May 1872, Glengarry, old age, informant was Ellen Robertson.
Ellen McLeod, age 78?, married, born in Scotland, parents William and Ellen Robertson, D. 26 May 1872, Glengarry, occupation farmer, informant was Ellen Robertson.
It is possible that McLeod is the maiden name and not the married name but that would have been unusual in Nova Scotia at that time. Under the section for parent's name, occupation and whether alive or dead, the information for Ellen McLeod is William and Ellen Robertson. These deaths are definitely in the Hopewell area so I would definitely follow up on these.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 October 09 17:28 BST (UK) »
Forgot to post this on last reply. If William and Ellen were both born in Scotland, have you looked for a marriage in Scotland. You can look under Scotland's People or look at the Scotland resources on this site.

I would definitely look at these two sites for more info.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nspictou/

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~canns/

What site did you find the 1871 census entry for William and Ellen, where were they living and who was living with them.

Good luck  Val

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 October 09 17:35 BST (UK) »
This is just another little tidbit and then I am off for Thanksgiving dinner.
Have you noticed that Patrick Peters married Christiana McLeod and you think that William Robertson/Robinson married Ellen McLeod. It is entirely possible that there is a connection between Christiana and Ellen McLeod. Also as I said before on the marriage bond between Patrick and Christiana, James Fulton is the person responsible for Christiana. The only James Fulton I could find at that time period was in Amherst. I guess at this point I would continue to look at bit of information and not give up on any lead. These people could all be connected possibley through the McLeod's.
Val

Offline jeannie1000cc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sarah McCarthy 1885-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 11 October 09 22:23 BST (UK) »
I have checked out the Rootsweb Pictou site but did not find much, I will definitely go over it again. I will also try posting again on the NS Pictou page. I recently tried to do so but my internet/email- provider sent me back a message "rejected by server". I will also try the canns page.

Without a documented connection between Jane and parents William and Ellen, I am not looking forward on that couple too much yet. But when I have (hopefully) found that confirmation I will definitely check the Scotland marriages.

I found the info on the death entries on the same site that you did. I also (should have mentioned, and sorry for the goof re: date & place of marriage  :-[) found the Peters-McLeod marriage bond there, as you did also. I would have ordered it if I thought it contained more info, but I never thought to look into the connection to James Fulton. Thanks for the idea. ;D

Funny I assumed McLeod to be the maiden name, since this is what I was looking for, and the informant info being identical to William's, but you're absolutely right about that being unusual as opposed to married name.  ???

I found the info for the 1871 census on ancestry. After many years of abstaining my impatience got the best of me and I caved into a 3-month membership. Is there anything I can look up for you?

Thanks so much to you both, what a great exchange of info and ideas. :)

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving holiday,

Jeannie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BUDD, PAGE - Staffs; RICHARDSON, HUTT, MIDDLETON, NEAL, MATTHEWS - Warks; OLNER, GRIMES, GOODMAN - Leics

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 October 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
Did you also see the people willing to do lookups in different areas? An email wouldn't hurt...
Happy Thanksgiving and best of luck :D  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline jeannie1000cc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sarah McCarthy 1885-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 October 09 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi J.J.,

Do you mean posting on the RootsChat Canada Lookups or somwhere else?
I thought the only way to lookup church records in NS was at the archives in Halifax.  :-\

After a detailed search on Ancestry.com, I've narrowed down to two families which might contain my Jane in Egerton, Pictou, NS, both with William Roberston as head (1851 census). I'm going to go over the Rootsweb Pictou site again tonight.

Thanks for the holiday well-wishes, same to you and yours,
Jeannie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BUDD, PAGE - Staffs; RICHARDSON, HUTT, MIDDLETON, NEAL, MATTHEWS - Warks; OLNER, GRIMES, GOODMAN - Leics

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 October 09 05:05 BST (UK) »
no we haven't anyone to do lookups on here in N.S. ...I thought there was an available lookups page in the resources, i guess I was thinking of elsewhere, sorry

This is a paid archive site...you can peruse available resources (scroll to see link to pdf ) to see if anything looks to be close to your information
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nspcghs/holdings.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 October 09 13:33 BST (UK) »
You can do a search for Pictou County Surname Registry or go to Pictou County Gen Web Project at
www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nspictou/srnmsaf.htm

If you scroll down the left side almost at the bottom, you will Pictou County Surname Registry. If you click on this it will take you to a list of people researching the same surname as you that are willing to share their information.

When you are looking at the sites go through all the information. Many of the local societies have a lot of information that is not on-line. Check out the archives at each site to see if they have something that my be of interest to you. You often need to contact them to find out if they have information on your surname. The societies will see if they have information on the surname and then charge you to do the search and for the copies. You can get a lot of information in this way. I always do a search for other people researching the same name and have been quite successful.
Val