Author Topic: ROBERTSON-MCLEOD, 1800's Nova Scotia  (Read 20090 times)

Offline jeannie1000cc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sarah McCarthy 1885-1920
    • View Profile
ROBERTSON-MCLEOD, 1800's Nova Scotia
« on: Thursday 08 October 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Hoping for help finding info on the family of my g.g.grandmother, Jane Robinson (also Robertson). I have little info and don't know what to do next, feeling quite stuck  :-\

Jane married James Peters, son of Patrick and Christy, in Upper Stewiacke, Colchester county, NS on 17-Feb-1857. The church burned down in 1893 so no marriage record exists. They had a large family, a dozen children. I have information from local oral family history that Jane's parents were William Robertson and Ellen McLeod. I would dearly like to have any record to make this official. Census records of the time were head counts only; I don't know where Jane grew up or where her parents might have married. Any leads at all would be most appreciated.

Thank you ;D

Jeannie

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BUDD, PAGE - Staffs; RICHARDSON, HUTT, MIDDLETON, NEAL, MATTHEWS - Warks; OLNER, GRIMES, GOODMAN - Leics

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERTSON-MCLEOD, 1800's Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 09 01:54 BST (UK) »
Have you tried
www.novascotiagenealogy.com
You will find some information on BMD's on this site.
There is a birth of James Henry Peters in 1866. I think he is a son of James and Jane.
Also the marriage of Patrick Peters and Christiana Fulton in 1819.
It can be quite time consuming going through the BMD's but if you are patient you may find information that will help in your search. You may be able to connect some of the names just by looking through the site.
Also if you do an on-line search for Colchester Historical Society Museum and Archives, you will find information on old census under the archives section. There are also quite a few books on individual families from Colchester county and you can also check the Gene Janes site.
I would also type in a search for Colchester County genealogy and see what comes up.
Good luck.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 09 19:03 BST (UK) »
I imagine you have this, but it can help sleath things out to see her ancestry...she was born circa 1837 in Nova Scotia of Irish descent... Mother in law Christie, born Scotland, is also in household

In 1881 Middle, Stewiacke, Colchester, Nova Scotia
 http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e325/e008122890.jpg

James b. c. 1835 is a shoemaker  all are down as C.Presbyterian
children listed are:Ellin, John, Lydia, Alex, Henry, Maggie, Emma, Mary, Susan, William & Phillip
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 October 09 19:13 BST (UK) »
Middle Stewiacke 1891 census
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1891/001081-119.02-e.php?person_id_nbr=645120

Hmmm only 2 children left in household in 1891 and says both her parents were born Scotland!  :-\
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 October 09 20:23 BST (UK) »
and looking at the birth in 1866 that valeriec found, altho he doesn't appear on census as James, but as Henry...this would be their child, as also says they were married 1857
James put Jane's last name down as " Robison"

Only Robinson families listed in Colchester
http://www.cb-ns.org/NonMember/Cen_1838ColchesterCo.htm

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 October 09 20:25 BST (UK) »
Also found a birth for Margaret Catherine Peters 1866
again this one says mother Jane Robinson...! James was informant, but surely he knows his wife's surname?
Mary Bell Peters -  Philip Auston Peters  - Susan Edith Peters - William Roderick
all say mother Jane Robinson
I also see the marriage date on Philip's...Fby 17 1857, so I think you have all this but got the name wrong! However Susan's says m. 1856 in Pictou, Wm's says 1856 as well

Oh, I see rereading, that although you have heading as Robertson, that you also say Robinson...  :-\

Offline jeannie1000cc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sarah McCarthy 1885-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 October 09 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi J.J., Hi Valerie,

Thank you both for all your efforts. Perhaps I should have mentioned I have alot of information on the twelve Peters children, as well as a solid lead on the ancestry of James Peters. Where I am super-stuck is finding anything to connect Jane to her theoretical parents William and Ellen. I'm not even sure any record to support this even exists, it would only be a church record. As I don't know where in Nova Scotia she may have been born or where her parents may have married, I don't know where to look. I'm starting to think I would need to go parish-by-parish from Colchester to Pictou, where alot of Robertsons show up. In fact I found a 1871 census entry for a William and Ellen Robertson in Middle River (Pictou) followed by deaths registered in closeby Hopewell (1872) for William Robertson and Ellen McLeod. I think the only way I can sort this out is to lookup church records at the archives in Halifax or hire someone to do so on my behalf. :-\

I'd be very interested to have your thoughts on what my next step should be. ;D

BTW, James and Jane Peters emigrated to Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1899 with their two youngest, Susan and Phillip. I'd love to know why, but no clue. James passed away there on June 27, 1911, and Jane went to live (still in Ipswich) with Susan's family (Susan married Edmund Wile) until she passed away on Feb. 12, 1921. I am waiting for an obituary search for her in Colchester, I think in the meantime I'll try to get one from the States.

Sorry to run on so much  :D
Thanks again, Jeannie :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BUDD, PAGE - Staffs; RICHARDSON, HUTT, MIDDLETON, NEAL, MATTHEWS - Warks; OLNER, GRIMES, GOODMAN - Leics

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 October 09 21:56 BST (UK) »
Still, I am curious as to what records possess you to look for the surname Robertson?
for instance, did you look into this family from 1838 Colchester to rule them out?

Isabella  &  John ROBINSON a wheelwright in Londonderry Twp

then in 1881 there is an Alexander ROBISON a widower of Scottish descent b. c. 1839 Nova Scotia with family all Presbyterian and an Isbell Robison who is likely his mother of Irish descent b. 1817 N.S. , then a Trifinia b. c. 1845 who may be a sister or in-law...Now see in actual image it says Alexander is married not widowed as transcribed...so she may be wife
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e325/e008122480.jpg
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e325/e008122481.jpg

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 October 09 22:18 BST (UK) »
In Scotland and Ireland Robinson (and Robison) and Robertson are interchangable so it's not strange to associate the names with each other.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!