Author Topic: Ager family - Ayre, Tyrone, Ireland ?  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Joanne Mello

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Ager family - Ayre, Tyrone, Ireland ?
« on: Monday 07 March 05 18:28 GMT (UK) »
The IGI at the LDS Family History site has an entry for my ancestor, Nancy Ann Alexander Ager.  This entry shows her birth 17 March 1809 in Ayre, Tyrone, Ireland.  The 17 March information fits in with traditional family information, but the year of 1809 differs from the 1811 that we have.  That's no big deal, however. 

I've been working on this ancestor for 20+ years and have never, ever before seen a location of her birth other than just Ireland.  I see one entry in your chat says Ayre is in Scotland, not Ireland.  The IGI says No other information is available on this IGI submission.  So I can't find the submitter to get more information.  Can someone assist here?  Also, I don't know if her birth surname is/was Alexander or Ager.  We have just always known her with both names.  Thanks.  Joanne   

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Ager family - Ayre, Tyrone, Ireland ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 May 06 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hiya Joanne,

Ayre in Co. Tyrone ??? I thought I knew the north of Ireland reasonably well .. maybe not townland names
so I checked with the PRONI list of Co. Tyrone townlands http://www.proni.gov.uk/geogindx/towntyro.htm They have not shown a place by the name of Ayre so either it does not exist or the name has been changed. I wonder if the IGI submitter did not understand the local dialect? Augher is a possibility.

All the Best, Chris