Author Topic: An impossible task?  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
An impossible task?
« on: Tuesday 13 October 09 16:06 BST (UK) »
I want to look for some deaths in the years 1832 - 1836; I have the names and the county (Notts) but no more details, in particular no idea of the town/village/parish.

The names I'm looking for aren't on the resources I've got from the Notts FHS although those resources are not exhaustive.

Is this an impossible task in the face of too little information or are there other resources out there that I could try?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: An impossible task?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 16:13 BST (UK) »
Is it possible for you to find possible areas for these deaths by finding more about the families involved?

For example say Fred has his child christenend in place X in 1831, but Fred's wife appears on her own in place X in 1841 and 1851 as a widow, then you not only conclude that Fred died between 1831 and 1841, but also that it was likely to have taken place in place X.
Can you find events for the people on your list, or remaining people in thier close families on later censuses, in order to establish which part of Nottinghamshire they were likely to have lived, or more appropiately died in?

Remember that records for the dates you say will be burial records rather than death records.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 16:22 BST (UK) »
I know a marraige took place in Basford (i have a copy of that register entry) and subsequently the groom may have set up home with someone else in Notts St Mary's. Beyond that, no clues :(
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 17:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry to press this, Annie (I know I can be a pain!) but if you know nothing about these people I wonder how you know they died 1832-36?
I was suggesting that by building on what you did know, you might be able to narrow down a list of parishes or an area in which the deaths might have taken place. Then a trip to the Record Office to search the Parish registers in that area would be your best course (I see you are in Sheffield so not a million miles away).

If you want help finding out about the people then do put all the details of what you have got on here (names dates etc) and Rootschatters will get searching - but make sure you tell us all you know so we dont dulplicate effort and look up things you already have!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mysterious or awkward, it's just these wretched Kilners again and I'm sure everyone must be heartily sick of hearing about them.

There have been so many threads, even a scavenger hunt and people have given me so much help that I feel bad about whittering on about the same old same old again. Except it's not really the same old etc - thanks to everyone I am a long way further on than I was!

Threads passim ad nauseam - to sum up v briefly - I've got a Joseph Kilner marrying Hannah Woodhouse in Basford in 1832 (copy of marraige register in my possession). I can't find any mention of any children or of a death for Hannah.

Then there are Kilner children born to Joseph Kilner and Mary nee Taylor in Nottingham St Mary and St Paul in 1836 - 1852. I think this is probably the same Joseph but it would help enormously if I could find Hannah's death/burial, any marraige to Mary, or even any burials for his first family - Elizabeth (wife) and children Harriet and Caroline (but I know the family was in Leicestershire until at least early 1832 so might not come up with anything in Nott for them).

Sorry to be so repetitive in my requests.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline rubyruby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,  looking thr the nottm posts I saw yours, I see that Joseph & Hannah were married at St. Leodegarius in Basford, they have records at www.broxtowehundred.co.uk might be of help.  Also you do not say what age Joseph is, as I havent seen your other threads.
In 1851 Joseph Kilner age 60 B. Ireland  wife Mary age 46, b. nottm.
children John, William, Anne, & Emily living at 8 Wat Street Nottm St. Mary.  any help,   
                          rubyruby

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie65115,
I can't find her death either - so I'm wondering if she might have gone back to her place of birth, to her parents and wider family.
Do the names of the witnesses on the parish register give any clues as to her father's name, or another relatives name? That might help you trace her baptism, and place of origin - and possibly where she went, and where she died.
Another possible thought is to ask Notts Archives if they have the name Kilner or Woodhouse in their Settlement Examinations or Settlement Certificate indexes, as if there are then that will hopefully tell you where they came from. (1832 still in Old Poor Law era).
Contact details here:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/07zi/
Hope this helps a little - good luck.
Paulene :)

P.S. I can't see Joseph's burial in Notts. Have you managed to find where he died? Or, find him in 1841, for that matter - I can see why you are so frustrated (know the feeling!)
I see, looking at the births of some of the children to Joseph and Mary, that the family fell on hard times, whilst in Notts. (Joseph listed as Pauper). Therefore, it might be worth looking through the Nottingham Poor Law records held a the Nottingham Archives to see if they are mentioned.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/07zj/
They do a research service if traveling is difficult for any reason.

I found an interesting article about Irish settlement in Nottingham, which you might find interesting:
just type in Irish Settlement in Nottingham in the Early Nineteenth Century into your search engine. The article was written by Patrick Murphy.

Also wondering, were Hannah and Joseph married by licence?

Offline rubyruby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 February 10 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi annie,   Perhaps this family is much to early or you have already crossed them off your list, but you mentioned Leicester.

Joseph Kilner & Elizabeth Will married 22 Jan 1816 Enderby Leics.
children Jane    2.6.1816    Enderby Leics
      Elizabeth  24.3.1822    Enderby Leics
       Harriet     22.3.1826    Enderby Leics

rubyruby

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 February 10 19:01 GMT (UK) »
hello folks, thanks for resurrecting the thread!

Ruby - that Leic marraige is the very one; I am trying to prove that it was the same Joseph Kilner who subsequently married Hannah in Basford then married or at least set up home with Mary in Notts.

I can't remember the witnesses at the Basford wedding (I have a copy of the register entry but not here at the moment) but do remember that it wasn't a lo of help!

Nothing in the surviving poor law records for the Kilners in Notts although I know that Joseph, mary and children were in the workhouse in the 1840's.

Mary was still in Notts but without Joseph in 1861; he appears to have been in the Leicester workhouse, where he subsequently died. I can't find him anywhere in 1841 either though I can find Mary and the children.

I'll do my best to fill any other gaps if more info is reuired!
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)