Author Topic: 48th Highlanders of Canada Museum Looking For Photos  (Read 2910 times)

Offline OperationPictureMe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
48th Highlanders of Canada Museum Looking For Photos
« on: Thursday 15 October 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
The 48th Highlanders of Canada Museum is looking for photos of all the members of the Regiment that were Killed in Action during World War 1 and World War 11

If any members of your family lost their lives while serving with the 48th please send a copy of their picture to the museum.

Here is a link to a Memorial video on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic9a2UjYABk

The title of the video is

48th Highlanders of Canada Memorial for Remembrance Day

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: 48th Highlanders of Canada Museum Looking For Photos
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 09 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi OperationPictureMe,

Thanks for the link.

I have Pte. Herbert Blackall who died in the 1st WW. He was in the 48th. 

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 09 15:38 BST (UK) »
HI Karen

Thanks for calling the museum. It will be great to get a picture of your relative to add to  the 48th Highlanders archives. Any other information you can send would also be important.

As a side project I personally have been looking for pictures of all Canadians that have been KIA. When I find a picture I add it to the Canadian Virtual War Memorial. In the past few years I have sent in over 3000 pictures including several VC winners and also pictures of the children of the National Silver Cross Mothers.

David

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 October 09 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

It was nice to talk to Tommy  :)   Once I have Herbert's full military file, I would be more than happy to send a copy of that as well for your files.

I have letters from Herbert during his time in the war and will send copies as well.

Tommy had mentioned that Herbert rec'd a bravery medal, can I assume that the information regarding that will be in his file?

Thanks,
Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for suppling the photo. It is a great addition to the museum

Hi David,

It was nice to talk to Tommy  :)   Once I have Herbert's full military file, I would be more than happy to send a copy of that as well for your files.

I have letters from Herbert during his time in the war and will send copies as well.

Tommy had mentioned that Herbert rec'd a bravery medal, can I assume that the information regarding that will be in his file?

Thanks,
Karen

Offline Randy99

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Thanks,
Karen

Hi Karen
Can you please help me Iam trying to find info on my grandfather that was in war2 with the 48 highlanders. Would love to find his file can you please send me in the right way Randy.