Author Topic: Dickinson/Dickenson of Ardea, Mountmellick  (Read 7714 times)

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dickinson/Dickenson of Ardea, Mountmellick
« on: Saturday 17 October 09 04:05 BST (UK) »
Richard Dickinson married Agnes Ramsay in Edinburgh, 2 April 1923.  His parents are William Dickinson, storekeeper, and Susannah Thompson. 1911 census shows William, farmer, and Susannah living at Derryguile, Ardea with children William, Richard and Rebecca. Recorded as Church of Ireland. All born Queen's County. Family Search pilot project shows a marriage for William Dickenson and Susannah Thompson, Oct - Dec 1898. However, the local records office could not find the marriage certificate. Awaiting the 1901 census coming online. Until then, any suggestions of the next area to search?
Thanks for your help.
Mags

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Dickinson/Dickenson of Ardea, Mountmellick
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 09 14:31 BST (UK) »
not sure what you mean by 'local records office'.. did you order the cert from the GRO (Roscommon) with the index details  ?

Registration district: Mountmellick
 record type: Marriage
 quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1898
 volume: 3 / Page: 343

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 October 09 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

I read on the website that it was quicker to send to the local office, Portalaoise. My son works in Ireland so I asked him to send the completed application forms. Staff member said she couldn't find a marriage. Is it better to send to Roscommon?

Thanks, Mags

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 09 15:43 BST (UK) »
I'm not familiar with the Port Laoise registration office, but it's probably worth trying an order to the GRO head office - see : http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

Part of the Mountmellick registration district is in County Offaly (Kings Co.) which could be causing a problem for them. If they still cant find it, then there's possibly a problem with the index books or the familysearch itranscriptions.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 October 09 19:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, will try as you suggest. My main research is in Scotland - lots of information available! Thought I would surprise a friend with what I found out about her Irish family. As you know, and as I am finding out, not as easy! Thought I had it sussed with Family Search pilot. One other question, should image numbers be the same: William Dickenson is 00122, Susannah Thompson is 00144
Volume, page etc are the same.
Any other suggestions re 1901 census or would it be better until it's online end of 2009, beg 2010?
Thanks, Mags

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 October 09 11:19 BST (UK) »
I'm not familiar with LDS films but I checked the image numbers for marriages in my own ancestors and see that they dont match for these. What's important is that the GRO index details match (district, year/quarter, volume and page), this means that the two names appear on the same page in the register - which means they could have married each other.

It is theoretically possible that a different William & Susannah appear on a register page - but given that the names are not common this seems highly unlikely.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 October 09 11:51 BST (UK) »
The image numbers on LDS Pilot site will be different since bride and groom are listed in index separately.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 October 09 12:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both for advice. Will contact GRO.
Mags

Offline danishdots

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Ardea or Ardrea is old name of the parish of Coolbanagher,

I am fairly ceratin that there are 'Dickinson or Dickenson' in hte records that I have been collating.

Danishdots
Coolbanagher (Queens County, Ireland); North Creake (Norfolk); Aarhus (Denmark); Burntisland (Fife, Scotland); Rowlands Gill (Northumberland); Ballycarroll (Queens County, Ireland); Raheen (QueensCounty, Ireland)