Author Topic: What happened to Solicitors Allan D Lemon and Watts, Salisbury?  (Read 7430 times)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
What happened to Solicitors Allan D Lemon and Watts, Salisbury?
« on: Tuesday 20 October 09 19:59 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping one of my fellow RootsChatters will be able to help with this one!

Because of an ultra-tidy mother, I have almost no family papers passed down to me  :( Something that has survived is a set of distribution accounts for a family member who died in 1945. The contents of his estate went to his siblings, but some of the names look odd and I'd like to find if any correspondance on the estate still survives in any archives. The solicitors who drafted the accounts were-

Allan D Lemon and Watts, 88 Crane Street, Salisbury

That address is now a bookshop, but I was thinking that, if the practice folded up or was bought out or whatever, their records should be somewhere. I've checked the Wiltshire Record Office catalogue on line with no joy so I thought that possibly some other firm took over the records. Does anyone know how to find that out?

I'm looking forward to some bright ideas as I seem to have run out  :)

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Solicitors Allan D Lemon and Watts, Salisbury?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 20:01 BST (UK) »
A long shot, it might be worthwhile looking for the name of a solicitor in this firm before 1945, and then try to find the same name in another local firm later on. Just might work.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 20:31 BST (UK) »
The 1995/6 Solicitors' Regional Directory has the firm of Lemon Felton at 86 Crane Street, Salisbury. John D. Felton is the senior partner of this firm at this date. Perhaps Allan D. Lemon was the founder of this firm.

The above firm appears to have become Lemon Line & Felton. A Google search still shows this firm in Salisbury and where you can find their phone number.

Nigel

The addresses for Lemon Line & Felton now appear to be Richard Griffiths & Co (Solicitors).
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 October 09 08:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Redroger and Nigel for your extremely helpful suggestions. It never occurred to me to try and trace individual solicitors - I have the name of one as well! The 2 alternative leads for Lemon Line and Felton plus Richard Griffiths and co are excellent ideas as well.

Just shows what happens when people look at a problem differently...

I shall go off and follow these ideas and will report back as to what happens.

Thanks again

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 October 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
Confident it will be successful Angela, At least with the solicitors. Survival of the papers is more chancey.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 October 09 16:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm sure the obvious answer to a storeroom full of paper is to shred it  ::)

I've contacted Richard Griffiths and they were very kind but couldn't help. They took over the building from Lemon Line and Feltham, who went out of business, but didn't inherit any files. I imagine that records might have gone with one of the original partners to his new firm, but who knows!

I also contacted Wiltshire Record Office in case they'd been passed anything, but not so  :(

I wonder where next - Law Society? You don't half learn a lot doing family history research....

Thanks again for your ideas and interest

Angela

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 October 09 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have sent you a PM with some suggestions and contact names.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 October 09 19:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Nigel  :)

I'm giving your suggestions a try.

Angela

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 October 09 16:53 BST (UK) »
If the suggestions are not confidential, and Nigel has no objection, perhaps they are worth sharing?