Author Topic: Horsley Coppice / Lee Lane  (Read 5127 times)

Offline paul*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Horsley Coppice / Lee Lane
« on: Thursday 22 October 09 17:07 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping that someone with local knowledge of the Horsley and Holbrook areas will be able to help me locate both Horsley Coppice and Lee Lane, which I cannot seem to find on any maps of the area. Thanks for any help in advance.
HAMMERTON: Berks/Bucks/Marylebone
BANCROFT/PEACH/WOODWARD: Derby
MILLER/RANDALL: Ixworth/Pakenham
POLLARD: Ixworth/Chelsea/Paddington
KING/BOOTH: Crowland/Peterborough
CLAYTON/TRATT: Holborn/Clerkenwell
DE{U/I}T{S}CHMAN{N}: Russia/Whitechapel/Spitalfields

Offline alijet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Horsley Coppice / Lee Lane
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 October 09 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you Google Earth, Horsley Coppice, Horsley, Derbyshire, it takes you to Coppice Lane, Kilburn, which is just down the road from Horsley. Postcode DE56 0UK.

If you then go in to Google Maps Uk and type in the same info. It takes you to the back of Coppice Lane In Kilburn with the added info that it is near Horsley Woodhouse.

Alijet

Offline alijet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 October 09 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Can't find a Lea Lane, but there is a Stone Lea. A parish map is available of Holbrook on fiche from

www.west-middlesex-fhs.org.uk/content/fiche.aspx

Alijet

Offline MobileNanny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 October 09 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul. The only place that I've been able to locate Lee/Lea Lane as being is in the vicinity between Holbrook and Coxbench-to the leftside of, what is now, Portway, as you travel from  Coxbench upto Holbrook. There are a few entries for Lea Lane in the Holbrook 1841 census.
I'm afraid that Horsley Coppice I don't know about but I'll see if I can find any further information for you.

Offline MobileNanny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Can't find a Lea Lane, but there is a Stone Lea. A parish map is available of Holbrook on fiche from

www.west-middlesex-fhs.org.uk/content/fiche.aspx

Alijet

This 'Stone Lea' is actually the name of a house and not near the area that I believe was Lee Lane.

Offline paul*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 14:50 GMT (UK) »
:-[ Sorry, forgot to come on here to thank those who posted with suggestions. Thanks to mobilenanny and the 1841 census I've got a better idea when Lee Lane was, even though it seems to have disappeared soon after. Still no joy with Horsley Coppice, although I found Horsley Castle close by Coxbench, so maybe it was in that area. I must try to find some mid 1800s maps of the area.

Offline Ashie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I had family on Lea Lane, would love to see where abouts it was if you can Google Map it for us please :)

Thanks,

Ashley

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 January 10 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Paul..

Have you tried Old Maps:http://www.old-maps.co.uk/indexmappage2.aspx   This site has old maps for various years, in case of Horsley, there are 3 maps, one in 1881. If you put in Horsley Coppice no result comes, but if you put in Horsley, then a map of Horsley shows all manner of places around that village.

In the Derby Mercury, there are two references to Horsley Coppice:

One on the 18th January, 1854, says: At Little Eaton, aged 78, Mr. John Woodward, formerly of Horsley Coppice, much respected.

The second: May 3, 1855, At Bramcote, on the 1st inst.,by the Rev. Aston, Mr. Thos. Wright, of St. Mary's Gate, Derby, to Elizabeth, second daughter of of the late Mr. John Woodward, formerly of Horsley Coppice, Derbyshire.

Tom

Offline paul*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 January 10 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom, yes these are the two references from the Derby Mercury that I am trying to follow-up. John Woodward was living at Lee Lane, Holbrook on the 1841 census, but I cannot find him on the 1851. I'm not sure what 'formerly' means in the context of the death notice, a birthplace, address where he lived for most of his life, or last known address?

Thanks for the link to Old-Maps web site, I've tried it many times, but have never had any luck as the site always seems to crash. After a bit of lateral thinking I switched from Opera to Firefox, and after a couple more crashes and fiddling with cookies, actually managed to view a map!! Not that the quality is particularly good, but it beats all the maps that I have found so far.

Ashie1973,
If you follow this link http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=coxbench&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.104954,30.717773&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Holbrook,+Belper,+Derbyshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.989884,-1.456134&spn=0.00651,0.023174&t=h&z=16 the lane running almost East/West in the centre of the map is what I take to be Lee Lane.

Paul