Author Topic: William Brophy born about 1861 co.carlow  (Read 6395 times)

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Brophy born about 1861 co.carlow
« on: Friday 23 October 09 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I am looking for the baptismal recrd or death record of William Brophy. All i know is that he was born in county Carlow, the only snag is that there are quite a number of brophys spread throughout carlow, so it is a case of looking to the right parish.
He was married to a Teresa Hayden, who I think was from county louth. They lived in the north city of dublin in the 1901 census, they had two children Maggie and john 1906 and 1908 respectively, in the 1911 census there is no sign of teresa brophy, the two children are living with aunt farrell in dock st ringsend dublin, and william maybe living in a tenement in capel street. I have looked through civil deaths for william but no luck, also have been to glasnevin cemetery, but they are unwilling to help unless i have a death date!
is he buried in glasnevin? did he go back to carlow? was that him in capel street? If you can help, i'd love to hear from you.
As this is a brick wall that i have hit now for two years!
all the best
pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
mills, kildare and queens
jones, Caernarvonshire
brophy, carlow and dublin
o'rorke galway and carlow and laois
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Brophy born about 1861 co.carlow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 October 09 02:33 GMT (UK) »
You could apply for marriage record @ www.groireland.ie

William Brophy & Teresa Hayden
Registration District: Dublin North
Quarter: Jul-Sep 1899
Volume 2 Page 507

Joseph Farrell & Catherine Brophy
Registration District: Dublin South
Quarter: Jul-Sep 1890
Volume 2 Page 644

You can get a 4 euro photocopy of the marriage record if you supply the above information. The form does not have a section for all the information but include it were you can.

Also in the Census there is a column for what county the occupants were born this might help you out however i have found this can often be recorded wrong.

Ger

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 October 09 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gerard
I think you have given me a positive lead, as it never dawned on me that the farrell aunt was nee brophy and that she is my williams sister, looking at the 1911 census for this family, I can see that she was born around 1874, so she will definitely be on the civil records, and then i just trace whatever parish record relevent to her back, and voila, I find william!!! If only it will go like that, this family tree stuff is never ending, but without your message today i would not have made another step forward. Thank you. I am in Dublin, and regularly in the LDS, and occasionally in NLI, if i can reciprocate in some small way, please don't hesitate to ask.
all the best
pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
jones, Caernarvonshire
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 09 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pete,

Might be worth checking the parish records for the marriages as well as often they contained the father and mother of bride and groom.

Ger

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 October 09 19:39 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the pointer gerard, i started looking into it and found that catherine farrell nee brophy was originally from thomas street in dublin, from her civil birth, courtesy of LDS.
Just gotta find time now to get to NLI and will check out the parish for thomas street ( i think that's st alphonsus) i'll keep it posted anyway. Catherines parents were Augustus Brophy and Julia Ward.
All the best
Pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
jones, Caernarvonshire
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
just an update on this post, i have since traced william brophys grave last spring, as the new museum at glasnevin seems to have changed things na bit.
amyway, he is in an unmarked grave, and died in 1919. though i still have no trace on his wife, though family search have a teresa brophy as dieing in 1919, but i can't definitely say that it is her.
the question that seem to pose to me now is if their two children lived away from them in the 1911 census for dublin, what direction should i take to found out why the children were taken away from them, maybe like care orders, or maybe a record of maybe things that may have happenned to cause this in the run up to it? Is there such records on the dublin population around 1908-1911?
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
jones, Caernarvonshire
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan