Author Topic: Wallace (Wallice, Wallis) Rosc-Galway border to Bantry to New York  (Read 4748 times)

Offline JennyWW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seeking Descendants of James Wallace & Mary Quinn
    • View Profile
Wallace (Wallice, Wallis) Rosc-Galway border to Bantry to New York
« on: Saturday 24 October 09 04:49 BST (UK) »
My great-grandmother, Jane (a.k.a.) Jennie T. Wallace Cronin's parents were James Wallace and Mary Quinn Wallace.  She and her siblings were born between 1866 and 1880ish. Her Wallace sisters were Ann, Eliza, Cathrine, Frances (married Wm. Costello) and Mary T. (married Alfred Goldfinch). Her brother was Martin Wallace. 

I think all or at least most of them emigrated to New York and settled in NYC (Manhattan, Yonkers and Brooklyn, possibly elsewhere).  Most of the children were born on the Galway-Roscommon Border, most in the Athleague area. 

Later I believe they moved to the Bantry area before emigrating, parents James and Mary Wallace remained until James died at which time Mary Quinn Wallace emigrated to live with her daughter Frances Wallace Costello. 

Most of the chidlren were servents to the wealthy and I'm pretty sure that James Wallace may have been the same James Wallace who was Lord Bantry's employee as the landlord collecting rents from the Irish tenants.  I know that when he was retired he moved back to Roscommon, where either he or his wife may have been from originally.  Going back further the roots may have been from Mayo or Northern Ireland or even Scotland or Wales. 

The spelling of the name in the late 1800's was in certain of the children's birth records Wallice, Wallis, or Walis, others Wallace.

Jane Wallice  (my ggm Jennie)
b. Galway
Christened June 23, 1871
Parents: James Wallis, Mary Quinn

Ann Walis
 Athleague District, Galway, Ireland
Christened July 27, 1866
Parents: James Walis, Mary Quinn

Eliza Wallice
b. Ireland
christened April 1, 1876
Parents: James Wallice, Mary Quinn

Cathrine Wallace
Athleague, Roscommon
christened Oct 20, 1868
parents: James Wallace, Mary Quinne

Martin Wallace
b. 1880  Galway
parents James Wallace, Mary Quinn

Mary Wallace
between 1865 and 1875
Parents the same

Frances Wallace
b. abt. 1878
Galway
parents James Wallace, Mary Quinn

Moderator's Comment: Duplicate post- please reply on Cork board.
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,414723.msg2810401.html#msg2810401
Wallace, Wallice, Walice, Quinn, Cronin, Daly, McCarthy, Falihee, Warsen, Wersen, Greggory, O'Sullivan, Kelly, Secourt, LeDuc, Hedberg, Carty,