Author Topic: Earl Schafer  (Read 5044 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Earl Schafer
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 October 09 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi shellyesq.

Thank you very much, I have just seen the entry you mention.  The Vandenburg/Vanderburg line goes back to abt 1600.
On the 1920 census it would make Maxine (alias Phunolphen !!) born 1912 which is a slight discrepancy but weighing up the other information on the 2 sisters, that would tie in.  I have yet to find her in 1930, the spelling looks as if it will be an issue here.
Sister Georgia looks as if she married twice.
Thank you all very much - you are amazing.
If anyone finds Earl Schafer I would appreciate any more information on him.
Certainly been a very fruitful day.

Thanks A Million.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 October 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra:
This doesn't help with your search, but it's a bit of history...I mentioned your Earl's occupation as "auto dealer, public garage" to my husband, as I thought it was a bit odd having a dealership in a garage.

Hubby has been in the car business a long time, and said that a lot of dealers got their start in garages, he even heard of someone who started his business in the middle (literally) of a general store.

I'll have a look around again.   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 October 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
Found a marriage for an Earl L Schafer, but it was in 1969 (he was age 67).  Sending information by pm, for privacy reasons.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 October 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
California voter registrations
Earl Lee Schafer, Los Angeles, 4872 Eldred Street, "tp(?) bldr".   ???

1932, Earl L Schafer was living at 5510 S Western Avenue.  No occupation given on this form.

In 1934, an Earl L Schafer was living at 1032 Masonic Avenue, Albany, California.  Mechanic.  Right under his name and at the same address
Mrs. Margaret M. Schafer, housewife.

In 1936 they are still in Albany, but at 1493 Sonoma Avneue.  He is listed as auto mechanic, she is homemaker.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 October 09 22:43 BST (UK) »
1938 they are at: 931 Alston Way, Berkeley?  He is a machinist.

1942 (the next publication date), only Earl is listed, still at the above address, same occupation.

Having trouble finding him after 1942, even though the index is dated 1900-1968.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 October 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Wow, your truly amazing.  That must be him - Joseph Hope & his brother were also in Albany in 1941.

So that must be a first marriage for him - no other Schafer relative called Margaret at the moment.

Also see a Maxine Vandenburgh listed in City Directory for Klamath 1938 - 1940.  Thought it was an unusual name but there are others listed for various places.

Yes. Got the site you referred to.

Thank you again for your hard work.

Best Wishes.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 October 09 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I see whom could be Maxine's mother (May, widowed, born c1880, Minnesota, father born New York, mother born at sea) and sister (Edna, born c1919, born Oregon, father born Wisconsin, mother born Minnesota) on the 1930 census (found under Vanderberg).  North Bend, Coos County, Oregon.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 October 09 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa.

Thats her. So the parents divorced between 1920 & 1930. Charles was a teacher & a rancher at Florence. Lane.. Lillie May or May Lillie is suppose to have remarried again but I have'nt found any marriage. Possibly she dies in 1932 and Charles Howard in 1934 both Oregon but I'm not getting anywhere with death notices for either.
I have looked again today but haven'nt found Maxine in 1930 yet. Although I have sister Georgia first marriage to Albert Shadley - They are in Yainax. Klamath in 1930.  She remarries again to Wallace Leroy Neece bot not sure when.  Please excuse my spellings on some of these places they are all new to me.

BW
Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 October 09 17:07 GMT (UK) »
The spelling for varies quite abit - 1910 Vanderburg 1920 Vandenburg and 1930 Vanderberg - could have "h" on the end as well.