Author Topic: Shoemakers, Bootmakers, Saddler and Harness Makers  (Read 97859 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shoemakers, Bootmakers, Saddler and Harness Makers
« Reply #108 on: Friday 23 September 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
Couple of early newspaper mentions of Cordwainers in Scotland

Caledonian Mercury, Aug 24, 1801
"On Friday last the election of the Nine Incorporated Trades of Leith, when the following gentlemen were elected Members of Convenery, viz -
Mr William Lizars, Deacon of Cordwainers    Mr William Young, Treasurer

The Times, Apr 2, 1828
Parliamentary Intelligence
(included in a list of petitioners) ".....; from the Cordwainers of Midlothian....."

The Caledonian Mercury, Jul 11, 1836
"Sir G Clerk, after presenting a petition from the Cordwainer's Corporation in Edinburgh......"

regards

Offline peb21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Thursday 13 October 11 01:08 BST (UK) »
I have in 1851 (my 3x G Grandfather) Thomas Callaghan b.1815 Shoemaker from Cork Ireland, living @ Orchard St. Westminster, with his family also his brother John b1823 Shoemaker with his family living @ same address.
Thomas and his wife Catherine had six children. (that I know of)

1861 Thomas Callaghan, living @ Great Peter street Westminster three of his four sons  as Shoemakers.

1871 Thomas Callaghan, living @ Great Peter street Westminster two sons as Shoemakers.
I cannot find Thomas after this Census.

1881 (His son) Thomas b 1845 from Cork Ireland (My 2x G Grandfather) is listed as a boot maker, living @ Great Peter street Westminster with his family.
Thomas and his wife Sarah had eight children.

1891 Thomas is listed as a Boot + Clog maker, living @ Great Peter street Westminster with his family

1901 Thomas is listed as a Boot maker/ repairer, living @ Great Peter street Westminster with his family

1911 Thomas is listed as a Boot repairer,  living @ Great Peter street Westminster with his family

I have a marriage certificate for one of his daughter's for 1922 stating Thomas as a boot repairer.  On some of the birth and marriage certificates for his children it either states him as a shoe maker  master or a boot repairer.

I hope this of use to you, if you wish to use it.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Saturday 15 October 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
The Scots Dictionary gives Cordiners & Shoemakers as one and the same.     Skoosh.

Offline nickeloid

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Sunday 30 October 11 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I am developing a database of Shoemakers, Bootmakers, Saddlers and Harness makers

Please do send me details of any ancestors from 19th century who had any of these occupations

Simon

As I am guessing you are someone who knows a bit about the above trades perhaps you could answer a question please:

I have found my 3rd great g'father Samuel Lloyd b. abt 1789 in various records in London, referred to as shoemaker (includes 1841, 51 and 61 census). His place of birth in the latter two census records states Oswestry, Salop. I have been looking at birth records in Oswestry and have found a likely candidate where the father, Andrew Lloyd is recorded as a saddler.

My question is, would you regard it as likely that the son of a saddler from Oswestry might move to London and become a shoemaker?

You are welcome to include both instances in your database, though I haven't yet proven that Samuel is definitely the son of Andrew.

Offline zacie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 06:39 GMT (UK) »
William Boyce born Ireland 1799. At the time of his death (1850) he was a Boot and Shoe Maker working in Liverpool. (From Death Certificate)
Neil Boyce

Offline suziwong

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Sunday 27 November 11 13:44 GMT (UK) »
I believe that william and mary had a daughter Martha who married George Davidge family, and later live with her son with her son in taunton according to the 1901 cenus. I have William, a greengrocer at one time.

The Davidges were also cordwainers and shoe makers, but the men were boilermakers, possibly the railway engines, as they live near the railway station but also the docks to build steam ship (dates unknown).
I hope this helps you.

Say hi to nance frey for me, as we are looking for the same family.

suziwong

Offline illjaorterpa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Sunday 27 November 11 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Is your interest leather products? If so would whip maker be part of your collection? If so my 2 x great grandfather John Rabbit b.1835 Roscommon, Ireland was a whip maker from when he arrived in Birmingham (1861 census until 1901).I have also found a Martin Rabbit b.1832 Roscommon- whip maker in 1851 census in Burslem, Staffs.
Wood - Worcestershire
Porter - Coventry & Birmingham
Ward - Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire
Green - Birmingham
Stanbra - Birmingham & India
Law -Birmingham
Rabbit - BIRMINGHAM & Ireland & Canada
Jones - Worcestershire
Duffin - Warwickshire
Smith - Walsall/Perry Barr/Handsworth
Makepeace - Coventry/Northamptonshire
Hands - Warks
Taylor - Warks
Salmon - Warks
Upton - Birmingham
Fawdry - Warwickshire
Ridlington - Lincolsnhire, Cambridgeshire

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Monday 28 November 11 12:36 GMT (UK) »
My gg-grandfather George Noble (born Earsdon, Northumberland 1832, died South Hetton, County Durham, 29 Jan 1890 was a shoemaker. In the 1851 census he was apprentice to his brother, Thomas Noble, in Murton, Co Durham. By his marriage in 1854 he was described as a shoemaker. He appears in the 1858 Post Directory of Northumberland and Co Durham entry for Murton, Co Durham as a boot and shoemaker (page 386) in Murton Colliery. On his death certificate he is described as a Master Shoemaker. None of his sons followed him but two became tailors.
You have my permission to use the information. I have a photograph of him and a copy of the Post Directory entry if you would like them.
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline juliepaillin

• RootsChat Extra
  • PAILLIN LYNAM TOWERS BOWN ATKIN COLTON
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 12:25 GMT (UK) »
I have shoe makers, cordwainers, boot riviters, in the Leicester, Nuneaton and London area, if you are on Genes Reunited, more then happy to share info.

Josiah Pailing
William Paling

Cheers

Julie Paillin

Pailin
Paling
Palin
Pailing

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Colton - Barley Hertfordshire, Nuthamstead Hertfordshire, Leicester
Paillin - Leicester, Nuneaton, Spitalfields
Towers - Leicester
Atkin - Derbyshire
Lynam - Derbyshire, Notinghamshire
Bown - Leicester