Author Topic: George FREEMAN, ca 1803, East Retford  (Read 3836 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
George FREEMAN, ca 1803, East Retford
« on: Wednesday 09 March 05 13:49 GMT (UK) »
George FREEMAN, born say 1800-ish, was my Ggggfather.

I believe (1881 Sheffield census) that George was born in East Retford around this time.  There is only one appropriate entry in the IGI (though I'm aware that many babies were not recorded) - George FREEMAN, bap 26 Feb 1803, East Retford, parents George FREEMAN and Elizabeth.

IGI lists a George FREEMAN marrying an Elizabeth BELL in 1797 in Elkesley.  The Nottinghamshire Marriage Bonds list: "1797 May 16, George FREEMAN of Elksley, Co. Nottm., 21, bac., farmer, and Elizabeth BELL of Elksley, 21, spr., at Elksley. (Bond by George FREEMAN and David COLGRAVE of Blyth, co. Nottm., tailor.)"

Is the marriage, and is the marriage bond,  my George?

My George FREEMAN m Hannah TINKLER, 1823, Bawtry, he was a tailor, and they had children in Bawtry and Sheffield.  I believe that it is my George who was in Shrewsbury Hospital, Sheffield in 1881 (listed as 78 and b East Retford) and who died later that year in Sheffield.

There is also another George FREEMAN recorded in the IGI in the area around the right time - a George FREEMAN m a Hannah HINDLEY in Clayworth, Nottinghamshire in 1828 and had (at least) two children in North Wheatley.

Any help or ideas would be very welcome.

Judy

Offline Mable

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: George FREEMAN, ca 1803, East Retford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 05 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 Burial for a George Freeman 31 O7 1870 age 79 abode North Wheatley Burial North Wheatley.
Hannah Wheatle 15 02 1879 age 79 Abode North Wheatley Burial North Wheatley.
I hope I have been of some help.
Mable.

Offline Mable

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 March 05 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
1861 Census for North Wheatley 2412 page 85
East Field
George age 68 Occ. Miller with 3 acres of land born North Wheatley.
wife Hannah age 62 born Clayworth Nottm
Dau Mary age 30 unmarried Occ. Dressmaker.
Grandson William H. Freeman age 7 born Worksop Nottm

1841 Census East Field Wheatley G
George age 45 Occ. Corn Miller.
Hannah age  40
Goerge age 11
Mary age 10
All born Nottingham
It looks like this George did ot leave North Wheatley.

Mable.   

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 March 05 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear Mable,

Thank you very very much for all of that very helpful information!

Knowing this George FREEMAN's age is just great!  He is an older man than I'd thought likely (he married in 1828 so would have been ca 34/5).  There is a North Wheatley George of about the right age - George FREEMAN, bap 17 Nov 1793 at North Wheatley, parents Richard FREEMAN and Ann COOK.  That FREEMAN family seems to have been long-established in North Wheatley (can be traced back to a 1750 marriage there) - and continued there (that George's unmarried daughter was still there - a grocer - in 1881).

It's certainly looking more and more likely that my George FREEMAN, ca 1803-1881 (my Ggggfather) is the son of George FREEMAN and Elizabeth BELL - though I probably will not be able to prove it.

Thank you again very much indeed for your help.

Judy
PS: I probably should order in some films to the local LDS FHC.  I mentioned the marriage bond, and the marriage, which have Elizabeth's surname.  However the christenings of their possible children don't give Elizabeth's surname so I have no proof (though it is very likely) that Elizabeth, mother of the following children with father George FREEMAN, is actually Elizabeth BELL - William 1798, Hannah 1801, George 1803 (all East Retford) and Charles (1805 d 1808), Elizabeth 1806, and Charles 1809 (all Sutton cum Lound).

Offline Mable

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 March 05 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 Try looking for a will for the george's father that you think is yours it could give you the help you want.

Mable