Author Topic: hankins  (Read 68521 times)

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hankins
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 October 09 15:10 GMT (UK) »
You might find this site useful (IGI batch numbers):
http://tinyurl.com/yfyff3z

A search by surname in the same parish brings up another Hankins Christening:

Elizabeth Mary Catherine Hankins 27th November 1847 Bartestree
Parents Richard Hankins and Mary Catherine.

Possible daughter of Richard Hankins christened 29th September 1819 Bartestree, parents Richard Hankins and Anne.

This family in LDS 1881 census living in Yarkhill, Hereford with 2 other daughters (Hankins) and a grandson (Wm Gould).

William John Hawkins* Gould born 1873, son of Thomas William Gould and Elizabeth Mary Catherine.

(*This may be Hankins, just mistranscribed)

The fact that the ages and places of birth for Richard in the 1881 census match the family posted, and the presence of the son of E.M.C.Hankins  would imply that she is indeed the daughter of Richard, and granddaughter of Richard and Anne.

If you look for this family in the census you may find other relatives with them who could help fill out your tree.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 October 09 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kirsty...getting there  slowly..just need help at times...

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 October 09 19:32 GMT (UK) »
In my 1890 Jakeman & Carver's Directory of Herefordshire at Yarkhill under the Commercial listing is a Richard Hankins, farmer and hop grower at Newtown, Yarkhill 

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 October 09 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Chillis, This is amazing. I didn't know the Hankins had so many elements to them before now. I didn't even know J H Hankins (Lawyer) son of John George Herbert Hankins(correct me if I've got thst wrong Dalek39) was one of 10 children. So if the census of 1890 shows Richard Hankins- farmer and Hops grower, is this J G H Hankin's Father?

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 November 09 00:34 GMT (UK) »
From what I have understood of your line:

1. Richard Hankins (Anne)
father of
2. John Hankins b.1822 (Hannah M. Herbert)
father of
3. John Herbert Hankins b.1847 (Agnes S.W. Dalrymple) <--- The Lawyer
father of
4. John George Herbert Hankins b.1873 (Mary O.T.A. Hickson)
father of
5. John Annesley Hankins b.1907

I think the Richard Hankins that Chilis found in the 1890 directory is probably the same one I found in the 1881 census, so he would be the brother of number 2 in the list above, ie Richard Hankins b.1819.

The 1871 census (Freecen) has this Richard and family at Newtown Farm, Yarkhill. He is a Farmer of 30 acres aged 51.

Kirsty

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 November 09 01:00 GMT (UK) »
So Kirsty, The Richard- farmer is the brother of John (Born 1822) and their Father is also Richard? I'm either being my usual dense self or this is just confusion caused by the fact they seemed always to re-use family names for offspring.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 November 09 02:39 GMT (UK) »
You are correct, father and son both named Richard.

Youare not being dense, they are just using the same names AGAIN!  You don't seem to have any luck with your family lines. They are all remarkably un-original in their naming of children!

I had wondered if the names of the younger Richard's children might give clues to the names of his grandparents. Going by the census entries they all had middle names.

Kirsty

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 November 09 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Glamis/Kirsty...John Hankins Snr (1822) his son was John Herbert Hankins.(1847).(Lawyer) .John George Herbert Hankins(1873)was the son of John Herbert Hankins  Confusing I know, why they didn't call them Jack Harry and Tom..I dont know, would have made it a lot easier on the brain...
I have a Richard Hankins with 218 acres employing 4 men and two boys at Evesley in the 1861 census ? aged 60..with a wife Ann.. Who I think is their father and Mother...
Another Richard Hankins with 216 acres ..sounds familiar..employing ?men and 1 boy..I think this is the son..His wife is Mary, as in Mary C Hankins...am I right?
I know that the brother William also was a farmer, but have not found him on property yet...
And...where is the other son Edward Hankins???..was he a farmer also....?

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 November 09 05:15 GMT (UK) »
John Hankins Snr.(1822) ..his son was John Herbert Hankins (1847) Lawyer. born in England.....his son John George Herbert Hankins (1873) was born in NZ...
I have A Richard Hankins..with 218 acres, employing 4 men and two boys at Eversley in the 1861 census..age 60 with wife Ann...the Father I think of John and Richard Hankins.
Another Richard Hankins...with 216 acres.(sound familiar?) employing ?men and 1 boy..wife Mary..as in Mary C.Hankins...John Hankins (1822) brother...
I know that William Bartholomew..another brother (1818) was also a farmer..but havn't been able to find him on the land, other than a lodger in the 1971 census...
I have not found an Edward Hankins...another brother as yet. what occupation he had...
I would like to know where the Father Richard was born...was it Dymock..Surrey..or Hampshire??