Author Topic: hankins  (Read 68903 times)

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hankins
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 07 November 09 00:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm a bit closer than you. It is now another 'to do' list on top of going to Glasgow to see the relies bits and pieces for Lieut. Col. James Dalrymple and his son GWD's lair at Sighthill cemetery and the Regimental colours from General Sir Samuel Dalrymple at Glasgow Cathedral. My son is in Warwickshire doing farriery, Hereford isn't that far from there. In fact we went to Hereford for one of his interviews- Warwick worked best. I find this quite spooky. Richard Hankins as a vet, they lived and worked as farmers in Hereford. J H Hankins(Lawyer) was born 13/06/1847, My ex father in-law's birthday was 13/06/1934 and JH Hankins' relative Richard Hankins died 13/06/1807, Ledbury, Hereford Probate 11/1463. It is too much to take in even more so that my own daughter was due 27/06 and JH Hankins died 27/06/1928. Family cycles-biorhythms. I don't know.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Glamis
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 08 November 09 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Its a hot night tonight...32 and its 9.45pm...we are expecting a week of mid 30's..terrific !! not.
Now, re our Hankins... Chillis sent some info on Alice Hankins line, and there was a Richard Hankins..born 1772 in Weston Beggard..Hereford..wife Mary..who I found on Family search was Mary Dafy..born1735 Weston Beggard...died in 1798..same place...
I also have a Richard Hankins..born 1794 Donnington, Hereford.. parents John Hankins and Sarah Andrews....and...found out Weston Beggard and Donnington are the same place..Is this right? and if so, who's who...The one at Beggard that Chillis gave me is right, as it tallies with the gravestones on the photos' she sent.....Where does Donnington dates fit in.?  Maybe its the heat..but.. ??? anyway, as Chillis said that there were hundreds of Hankins in Hereford...doesn't make it easy does it?  No doubt it will sort itself out.....
Did you get the newspaper cuttings OK ?..just my computer has been playing up big time, and sending repeated messages...which I did not know was happening till friends thought I'd gone mad...so, my apologies if that happened to you.  Think its fixed now......I hope..... Cheers.. :-[ :)

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 08 November 09 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Dalek39, Donnington is in Warwickshire. I think the transcript you've found should read Dormington but I stand to be corrected as my own knowledge of English geography is pretty poor- didn't grow up here after all. Anyway, have a look at this because it may help to show you the relationship of the villages which seemed to make up the parish of Weston Beggard.
http://www.british-towns.net/en/level_4_display.asp?GetL3=595
Yarkhill, Bartstree and Dormington all show in a triangle. The next link is about Yarkhill. http://www.yarkhillchurch.org.uk/Parish.htm I have only found the following for Bartstree so far, it appears an archaelogical dig found nothing in 2004- this is a requirement of UK planning for historical and ancient buildings being redeveloped. Scroll down to Hereford. http://csweb.bournemouth.ac.uk/aip/gaz2004/ewm.pdf

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 08 November 09 20:26 GMT (UK) »
glamis...Thanks for that..and the "other info" on John (Lawyer)  What a family...now that we have found William and Mary, cant very well call Richard, father of John (Bartestree) grandad anymore, can we..he"ll have to be refered to as (Richard Esq) William is now grandad...this all saves MY confusion if I know who I'm talking about... if you dont think that a good idea..say so, I wont mind..

Now.... I have a mystery..cant find Hannah Maria Hankins, mother of John Herbert Hankins, and all the other children...she's gone off the face of the earth..cant find her anywhere in NZ..dead or alive...I must say, being the mother of John Herbert..the well known Laywer, you'd think she would have a mention somewhere..Maybe she left NZ..re married..I dont know, but there is no death notice of her that I can find..and I have searched all NZ cemetries,  but, as I well know, that doesn't mean that she's not there..
I have a greatgrandfather on another side, who was a Scot from Inverness..(now thats going to be interesting to follow that up at a later date..headache?)
But back to our Hannah..Ive looked under Maria, as she like to be called apparently..no go...so..if you have any info on her let me know...its a mystery....
Melbourne could be a clue, as there are a lot here, but, thats a long shot...but I'll look...
Anyway...I have just found out that my dear hubby has got me Family Tree, as Chillis suggested, so I will get that organised ASAP.........You should see my file, just on the Hankins alone...like the "Doomsday Book"..so a disc would be great......chat later..another hot day ahead for us, send some rain over please..would be welcome.... 8) :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 09 November 09 01:30 GMT (UK) »

Now.... I have a mystery..cant find Hannah Maria Hankins, mother of John Herbert Hankins, and all the other children...she's gone off the face of the earth..cant find her anywhere in NZ..dead or alive...I must say, being the mother of John Herbert..the well known Laywer, you'd think she would have a mention somewhere..Maybe she left NZ..re married..I dont know, but there is no death notice of her that I can find..and I have searched all NZ cemetries, but, as I well know, that doesn't mean that she's not there..
But back to our Hannah..Ive looked under Maria, as she like to be called apparently..no go...so..if you have any info on her let me know...its a mystery....

Have you considered the following from the New Zealand Death index ?

1873 - HANKINS - Anna Maria

http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/

Lu

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 09 November 09 05:56 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks Lucy 2..been there, done that..it states her name and N/R..and thats all...I thought it may be a child..as in stillborn.... Its hard to think that a mother of 10 children vanishes without a trace...I tried NZ divorces. in case she remarried.. all the cemetries...nothing there......the records dept. are in the stage of re-vamping their records, and so much is "off air" at present..
Will keep searching, she lived, and died..I know that..so ..will keep looking.....and..thanks for your interest..much appreciated....Dalek.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 09 November 09 09:40 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Lucy 2..been there, done that..it states her name and N/R..and thats all...I thought it may be a child..as in stillborn.... Its hard to think that a mother of 10 children vanishes without a trace...I tried NZ divorces. in case she remarried.. all the cemetries...nothing there......the records dept. are in the stage of re-vamping their records, and so much is "off air" at present..

Well Dalek ... I'm not sure if your reference re: "the records dept.  .......  and so much is "off air" at present",  relates to the NZ BDM Historical indexes.  ???

I'm in New Zealand and have a more than reasonable grasp of what is, and what is not, available.

Just let me say, that many of the early NZ death records for adults, have N/R recorded in place of "age".  :D
[It is not unusual either to see "Hannah", mistranscribed as "Anna"].

Lu

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 09 November 09 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lucy2... I must say..been having trouble getting onto certain sites, found that my computer was playing up...hopefully its fixed now....I will try again..if that is right it seems she died not long after she settled in NZ....but where is she buried? no record  that I can find...with her well known husband you would think there would be some mention of her.. ??? either by him or her children..Looked in obituaries, nothing there, but that doesn't mean anything either...I have John Hankins death certificate, he died in Christchurch in 1911...you would think if they were still together she would be near him...
My mothers family came from Christchurch NZ..( never got there.).I was at school in Auckland ..born in Aussie...and its very warm here at present..got to 35d today, and more this week of the same. looks like being a hot summer again this year... I'll get onto NZ BDM.. and check again...thanks again. Dalek. :)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 00:15 GMT (UK) »
..Lucy2..
                        The Anna Maria 1873/1470 on the BDM NZ (death record) with N/R next to it..may or may not be her...and I want to get a certificate, but without knowing its her, dont want to send off, and pay for the wrong one..  as happened before... with my ggreat grandfather, who would have been 140 years old when he died, even though I gave them his DOB...sent it back only to receive the same one back again.....so, you can understand my caution....
I'll try other avenues first, and let you know the outcome... 8) :) (Its a hot day today, 35d.and same for the rest of the week..