Author Topic: hankins  (Read 68904 times)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hankins
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Glamis...have found out some more on the Hankins (NZ)..  found a death notice for a William Herbert Hankins....2nd June.1880...aged 23 yrs. 3rd youngest son of John Hankins..no mention of Hannah Maria as his mother, strange?..
Also, A William Herbert Hankins married Elizabeth Elias ? (NZ BMD) 1914/9195...obviously another one..but one I have not heard of....and.....under the heading of "Runaway Husband" in Papers Past NZ  Grey River Argus.. May 10 1882...involving a Mrs.Maria Hankins, ...Who appears to have re married a Edward Hankins..1884/2554...NZ BDM record....was he Williams brother . ??? ::)   and...a death notice in NZ paper, 28th Apr.1911..John Hankins, late of Hagley Hall...Hereford..father of J.H.Hankins..aged 89 yrs...No mention of Hannah Maria..which makes me wonder, did she re-marry,, as there is also a record of Hannah Maria DONOVAN...1867/2842...NZ BDM...only a thought, ..but..as we cant find her, one wonders..as Alice Hankins, (her daughter) married a John Henry Donovan..so there was a connection.
Just seems strange that there is NO mention of her by the family in articles I have seen...???and until we get a death notice, we dont know...... ::) ??? :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dalek

Yes I'd also found the death of "William Herbert" 1880 and was about to mention it to you.

Was interested to know whether you had details of this son's burial place ... as he may well be buried with his mother "Hannah Maria". ?

It was actually fairly common in those days, (in New Zealand newspapers) for only a father's name to be given in death notices of a child - especially in notices where the father's place of origin was also included.    (You know  .. it was the era where "mothers/women in general, didn't really rate" ! ;D)

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 02:36 GMT (UK) »

..Lucy2..
                        The Anna Maria 1873/1470 on the BDM NZ (death record) with N/R next to it..may or may not be her...and I want to get a certificate, but without knowing its her, dont want to send off, and pay for the wrong one.. 

Dalek   ... I'll check the NZ Death index microfiche ... from which I can establish, where this death (1873) was registered.  (I'm at the library later in the week).

Even in the event that it was registered at Christchurch, the actual death record may not be worth purchasing, this is because there was so little information recorded for deaths, up until around 1876.   It won't confirm her spouse's name - though at best he may have been the informant.   It may not record actual burial place, and it certainly won't include place of birth or her parent's names.

Whilst you say you've checked all the cemetery records available, it needs to be remembered, that a great many are not available online.    This particularly applies to Christchurch (Canterbury area) ... there are numerous little graveyards scattered all over the place - and churchyard plots as well.  (Many of my lot were from Christchurch too, and it took a while finding them).

Lu

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Lucy 2
             Thank you soooo much for all that. I do appreciate it...wish I were there to see where my  grandparents are buried..at Bromley Cemetry Ch.Ch..  in the same plot...as often happens with families....so that is on the cards..  I looked at Palmerston North, where her eldest son was buried, thought there may have been a family plot...anyway, she'll turn up somewhere....sometime...
I realize there are a lot of old pioneer cemetries,  where the records get lost, and that makes it very difficult..and time consuming...
Her maiden name being a Herbert, makes me dread looking in that line...as many Herberts as are Hankins. :P ::)  but, that will come at a later stage...If I dont go gar-gar in the meantime.......Take care...Dalek :)

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Also, A William Herbert Hankins married Elizabeth Elias ? (NZ BMD) 1914/9195...obviously another one..but one I have not heard of....

This is Uncle Ford, son of J H Hankins and Agnes Sophia Weymss Hankins. He and Elizabeth had Ian, Gwynnedd and June- my Mother's cousins. Uncle Ford died of throat cancer.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Glamis...my grandfather...Henry Alfred Donovan, who was Alice Hankins eldest son, also died of cancer, maybe throat cancer..he was 47 at time of death, had a Tobacconist and Hairdresser shop in Ch.Ch.
Maybe they were all smokers....some coincidence, eh?  That was too early, my mother was only 10 at the time...
Time to sign off ..been a long HOT day..so will chat later..maybe will have some more news... :)

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 10:57 GMT (UK) »
there does seem to be a frequency of throat cancers dotted through this family. Anyway, it's a cold grey damp Tuesday at 1055am here. We've got a long damp day ahead. Could do with some of your heat but only a little not the extremes you get. Thanks for all of this.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Glamis..  Maybe I can search here in Aus, at some cemetries for ASWD..mother , she may be here somewhere, as there are cemetries that are not on the map so to speak...If you want, give me her name and I'll see what I can do..  Dalek

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Dalrymple or WeymssDalrymple nee Thomson- see threads on the Aus/NZ sites for 'Sarah Dalrymple nee Thomson What has happened to her?'. Thanks