Author Topic: Question about LDS records  (Read 1356 times)

Offline mkftandc

• RootsChat Senior
  • James P. Flanigan 1905-1983 Craigneuk,Scotland
    • View Profile
Question about LDS records
« on: Thursday 29 October 09 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I have a question on how reliable are the LDS records when they are submitted for " sealing of the dead ".

The reason why I am asking is because just recently I have discovered that someone has my family line on the LDS site and this family line goes back to 1604 England. The whole family was submitted for the " sealing ". Now I am Catholic but this family line 4 generations before me was Protestant.

I am questioning this because I cannot see or find any documentation for any of these people and I am questioning on how they got the information especially the ones for the people born in Ireland. 99% of my research is in Ireland and I know how hard it is to find records.

To see what I mean you can got to the LDS site and just type in " Lockhart Anderson". Then click on his pedigree/family

It is his mothers family line the Websters" that go back to the 1600's.

Any input on this appreciated.

Thank you,
Megan
SCOTLAND-
Flanigan,McGrory,ONeill,Farrell
Craigneuk,Motherwell and Glasgow

ENGLAND-
Flanigan,Corrigan - Bedfordshire

IRELAND-
Flanigan,McAdams,Donnelly,Daley -Co. Monaghan
Flanigan,Doherty,McGrory,Collins,McQuelin-Co. Armagh
Farrell,McPoland,Devlin,Cull,McMahon-Co. Down
ONeill,Feeney-Co. Offaly
McGrath,Creagh,Craugh,OKeeffe,Brouthers,Frye-Co. Laois and Co. Kilkenny
Kelly,McInnerney,Marrinan,Falsey,Blackhall-Co. Clare

Mystery**
Johnston - immigrated to Michigan,USA from ?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Question about LDS records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 09 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Megan ;)

I would be very cautious about accepting the posted info as fact. The submitted info is very detailed but there is no way to judge how accurate it is.

However.......

What I would do is print the info and use it as a guide for where to look for the info yourself in the Irish records to check its accuracy, working backwards from what you know to be fact. Assuming that the submitters actually found the info, you should be able to duplicate it yourself. Also, you will find even more info in the submitted Ancestral File but treat this file info with caution too.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mkftandc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 October 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Polarbear,

Thank you for replying to this post. I am with you in thinking that I should be very cautious about this info. I have put a call into my local LDS and I am waiting on a reply from them.

I guess my main aggravation about this is that there are at least 5 other family trees on Ancestry, and they all have the information from the LDS and they all are just accepting it as fact.

I have contacted the other tree members and asked for their sources and they all reply the LDS !! So no help there.

Anyway, thank you for your advice .

Megan
SCOTLAND-

ENGLAND-

IRELAND-
ONeill,Feeney-Co. Offaly

Mystery**

Offline joanna69

• RootsChat Member
  • Mary Anne Doyle (1869-1955) My Great-Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 15:06 GMT (UK) »

I guess my main aggravation about this is that there are at least 5 other family trees on Ancestry, and they all have the information from the LDS and they all are just accepting it as fact.

Not about your query, but my goodness, that does happens on Ancestry doesn't it.  I have a tree there and so get "hints" about people researching the same ancestors.  You see the same incorrect information being copied from one person to the next. I always check my own sources out.  I may put a name in that I see on another tree but make sure I make it clear for myself that I need to investigate it for myself.  There are a lot of people who blindly put stuff in their tree.  I think just to "get it back" to a early as possible with the minimum of effort.  Tis where mistakes happen!
Gale - Hampshire
Chivers - Wiltshire
Clothier - Dorset
Kane - Ireland (Dublin)
Doyle - Ireland (Dublin)
Loader - Hampshire/Dorset
Groves - Dorset
Hacker - Wiltshire

Offline mkftandc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 16:20 GMT (UK) »
It is a common mistake that I have found on Ancestry trees. I don't know why people bother filling out the trees if they aren't getting the satisfaction of knowing that it is correct and they have found sources for the information.
That is the fun of doing the research when you find an actual document with your ancestors name on it and possibly information about them. Not just copying names and dates.

I have found people putting my ggg grandmothers death at 1899 when I have posted her obituary from a newspaper as a source for 1867. And yet they still don't change their information. It is also listed on the LDS with the death date of 1899 submitted by one of the Ancestry tree owners !!!

It makes me angry because the LDS is supposed to have some form of accuracy for their records and now my whole family line is listed on their site incorrectly, and was submitted to them by one of their own members.

I spoke with a woman at my local LDS and she has told me that it will most likely never get changed because the family tree was submitted by 4 separate Mormon members, all with the same incorrect information. All I can do is possibly submit my information and hope that people use my info and not theirs. ARGHHH!!!

SCOTLAND-

ENGLAND-

IRELAND-
ONeill,Feeney-Co. Offaly

Mystery**

Offline Neohet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Megan,

I would also advise you to be cautious about the info on LDS.

I have found on their site a ‘Pedigree Resource File’ for My 3rd GreatGrandfather William Tomlinson b.1827. It has his birth as 1827, South Leverton; Death as July 1864, Rotherham; Married Ann Parkin in 1849; Residence in 1851, Askham, Notts.; Residence in 1861, Rotherham, Yorks., all of which , confirmed by my own research are definitely my William,  but it also has his residence in 1841 as Eakring, Notts., and has his parents as William Tomlinson & Hannah Bellamy Both born in Askham.

I was sure that William's parents were John & Elizabeth but I couldn’t remember how I came to the assumption that William’s Father was John. Afraid that I had made big mistake in my research, I frantically searched through all my records, and then suddenly remembered that I have a copy of William & Ann Parkin’s Marriage certificate. I found it out and found with relief that William’s Father is definitely given as ‘John Tomlinson’.

Looking through the LDS records I cannot find a record of my William’s birth, but there is a William born in Askham in 1827, Parents William & Hannah, and there is an 1881 census for a William, born 1827, in Askham, Living in Beighton, Derbyshire & Married to Sarah – Obviously not my William as he died in 1864.

It would appear that the submitter has merged two different Williams based solely on their year of birth!

Beware.

Kind Regards,

Matt.
Tomlinson - Sheffield, Rotherham & South Leverton
Hellewell - Rotherham & Barnsley
Percival - Sheffield & Lincolnshire
Leverton - Sheffield & Lincolnshire
Pearson - Sheffield & Worksop
Luff - Sheffield
Lashley - Sheffield
Maddison - Durham

Offline mkftandc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for your comments, I am actually looking at the LDS site in a whole new way now.

In fact I am now going through my WHOLE family tree and double-checking on people where I have used the LDS records as some sort of source to make sure I have the actual documents to back it up and to make sure they both match up. Very frustrating.!

I plan on going through this LDS family tree and use it a " maybe" connection and try to find documents on the people to see if they really do match up. Hopefully, not everything on there is wrong.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions..
Megan
SCOTLAND-

ENGLAND-

IRELAND-
ONeill,Feeney-Co. Offaly

Mystery**