Author Topic: William David Owen, Rhosneigr, Madam Wen  (Read 6050 times)

Offline tim99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William David Owen, Rhosneigr, Madam Wen
« on: Thursday 29 October 09 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have lurked on this group for a while, but think it is worth mentioning a few things I have been researching, in case it interests or helps anyone.

William David Owen (born William Owen) 1874-1925 was a Welsh schoolteacher who became an author, penning the classic 'Madam Wen' which was published in Welsh in 1925, just a fortnight before he died.  I have just completed a biography of the man and am about to publish the 184 page work as 'The Rhosneigr Romanticist'.  isbn 9780956296207

The book also includes the first ever (abridged) English translation of 'Madam Wen', along with an earlier story he wrote entitled 'Elin Cadwaladr' (also in Welsh, and also being published as an abridged version in English for the first time).

Owen travelled to Gloucestershire, (Joy's Green), Derbyshire, (Clay Cross) and London (Muswell Hill), before returning to Anglesey where he settled in Rhosneigr.

Owen married Edith Gwendolen Empsall in 1904, but they had no children.

Owen's sisters were both spinsters, although one of them, Ellen (known as Nelly), worked for several years for Florence Nightingale and the Verney family.

The website www.rhosneigrromanticist.co.uk will tell you a bit more.

Am happy to help anyone with any linked research (there are lots of Owen cousins) if you post here or email me via Rhosneigr Publishing.

I am also interested in receiving any further snippets of information - particularly as several lines of enquiry remained stubbornly unanswered.

You will also find a large collection of Rhosneigr images on our sister website
http://www.sheffieldpostcard.co.uk/catalogue/Rhosneigr

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William David Owen, Rhosneigr, Madam Wen
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 09 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tim99 & welcome  :)

Very interesting website.  Thank you for posting the link.  A lovely part of the world :)

Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clematised

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William David Owen, Rhosneigr, Madam Wen
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 November 09 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Tim thank you so much for this site as I am researching family from the area and from what I have read so far I am fascinated with it

Thank you

Edna
Scotland and Liverpool Wilson,Conning,Cooper.Marshall
Cumberland,Liverpool, Anderson,Harrison
India, Liverpool, Lloyd.
Hollyhead anglesey,Wales, Liverpool, Jones,Williams
Llangwyfan,Aberffraw. Hughes/Griffiths

Offline tim99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William David Owen, Anglesey, Madam Wen
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 August 10 16:53 BST (UK) »
just fyi there is an exhibition about William David Owen in Rhosneigr Library from 16th August to Sept 4th 2010. open every day.  It also includes several items about Ellen Owen who worked for Florence Nightingale c1886-1890, and the Verney family.