Author Topic: Re:this completed Look up request board  (Read 1747 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:this completed Look up request board
« on: Friday 30 October 09 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I have always known we had a compleated census request board,Where, when we add Compleated to our topics.It gets moved to the completed board.The same goes for this one.My puzzle is why are members asking for lookups on the completed board instead of the Cheshire look up request board I am just curious as to why we have 2. I have never had a need to look at the  compleated request board so i have only just noticed that.I didn't know members could ask for a request on the compleated board ??? I don't think many members would look on the compleated board to see if they could help anyone.Because they have all been helped ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 09 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

I suspect it's either newbies or people who don't read the board title properly! 

Hopefully the moderators trawl through the completed boards occasionally and move anything that's in the wrong place.  They do an excellent job on the other misplaced posts.   :D

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 09 23:01 GMT (UK) »
I suspect it's either newbies or people who don't read the board title properly! 

Yes thats probably it,There is another board has the same problem with request, Even though it has in big letters or it did "Please do not put request on this board"  ;D ;D

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 October 09 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps they're newcomers like myself who hope to gain from studying the life-history of a successful lookup request  :); someone upstairs may know better  ;D.
                      Pinot

Now about the absence of a Glamorganshire Completed Lookup Requests board . . .

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 October 09 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Family history is never 100% complete, but when a request about one small part of the family history is judged as completed, either by the original poster or by a moderator, it is moved to the "Completed Requests" board (if there is one for that board), so that the not-completed requests can be found more easily.

Later, sometimes within days, sometimes weeks, months, or even years later,

This happens quite a lot.  RootsChat is a very large forum, and can be very bewildering for newcomers.

• new information becomes available, and is added to the topic, or
  • someone will find the topic while doing an internet search and, out of interest, or

because "that's my family !!!" will then join RootsChat and join in on the topic.
[/list]

So now you know, why we move "completed" topics to a "Completed Requests" board, rather than just deleting them :) 

The board has to have some kind of name, but you are all welcome to think of the "Completed Requests" board as
an "Archive for 'back-burner'  topics", rather than the "100% completed topics" board :)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 October 09 09:54 GMT (UK) »

Errr - there IS a Glamorgan Completed board!

I am probably not the tidiest Moderator, so probably there's lots waiting to be moved - but I do try, honest!

Keep marking those requests, folks!  Just ADD completed - don't replace the original title please.

:-[ ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 October 09 12:18 GMT (UK) »
but you are all welcome to think of the "Completed Requests" board as
an "Archive for 'back-burner'  topics", rather than the "100% completed topics" board
Bob

That makes sense,but to save confusion to new members as to where to put Census look ups or any other lookup (Burials) plus save moderators extra work of moving them.I little "please do not" notice would save all that ;D.And be less work for the Mods ;D Shall I add completed to this topic ;D ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 October 09 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: celia
There is another board has the same problem with request, Even though it has in big letters or it did "Please do not put request on this board"

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 November 09 00:12 GMT (UK) »

Errr - there IS a Glamorgan Completed board!

Gotcha!!!  ;D