Author Topic: PARTRIDGE and GIFFORD families from Suffolk  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Dalet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
PARTRIDGE and GIFFORD families from Suffolk
« on: Saturday 31 October 09 08:48 GMT (UK) »
My Ancestors Joseph Partridge and Judith Partridge nee Gifford lived in  Essex.

Help from the Essex Rootschat people has revealed they were both born in Suffolk (ie 1851 census) - Joseph Partridge in 1784 in Newton, Suffolk and Judith (maybe AKA Jane) Gifford 1793 in Alpheton.

I am still trying to find their marriage which doesnt appear to be in Essex so maybe in Suffolk.

Also anything regarding parents of both and siblings would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Dale in AUS
Watts Westcott Irwin Gammon - Devon
Marchment Gale - Wiltshire
MacLeod MacSwain- Raasay, Scotland
Gazzard Partridge - Essex
Grimmett Harris - Oxfordshire
Brien - London
Poyser - Staffordshire
Johns Morris - Glamorgan, Wales

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: PARTRIDGE and GIFFORD families from Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 October 09 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Dale I have amended my mistake on youur other post.
The christening WAS of Judith Gifford, 1793, Alpheton, Mother Jane.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: PARTRIDGE and GIFFORD families from Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 October 09 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dale,  If you are new to research in Suffolk you might like to know that you can have a look at both these parish churches at Simon's web site www.suffolkchurches.co.uk

Alpheton (say Alfeeton) and Newton are villages just a few miles apart on either side of the market town of Sudbury.

Alpheton was home to a large USAF base during WWII, now most of the land is back to farmland although certainly the control tower is still there.  It extends from Alpheton across to Lavenham and was known as Lavenham Airfield.  I have in the past taken photographs for a researcher in Australia.  There are still some 15th century thatched cottages, despite the many changes.

Newton is famous today for the large green as you drive through - now used for golf.  There is some new housing but a few very old houses and cottages remain.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?