Author Topic: Kirkurd/Newlands Parish  (Read 7492 times)

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirkurd/Newlands Parish
« on: Saturday 31 October 09 18:43 GMT (UK) »
I promised someone a while ago that I'd take photos for themof the lodge houses at Castle Craig(formerly Kirkurd House). At last I've taken the promised photos but can't remember who I was taking them for!
Please reply if it's you!!
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander
West Lothian, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Fife,Midlothian

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkurd/Newlands Parish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 April 10 22:01 BST (UK) »
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 May 10 18:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry to jump into this post but I am just transcribing a marriage cert into my tree and have come across Kirkurd.  I have:
Thomas Gardner Anderson (Groom) marrying Janet Thomson Forrest Todd on 21 June 1895 at Avenuehead, Traquair.  Thomas has his usual residence as Kirkurd and wonder if this was the Kirkurd House you mention and where it was?

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 May 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Kit
The Kirkurd parish lies near the A701 and A72 roads where they meet near Blyth Bridge.
Blyth bridge is approx 5 miles from West Linton  and about 12 miles west of Peebles.
traquair is East of Peebles. Hope this helps!

Avril
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 May 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Avril, as his job was Groom and residence Kirkurd I woud then presume this is at the beautiful house which is now an addiction centre?  Do you, or anyone else have any knowledge of who owned this around 1895?.

My daughter attended Brownie Camp weekend at Blyth Bridge and I helped with the cooking for the weekend.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 May 10 22:02 BST (UK) »
Re ownership of CASTLECRAIG in 1895

History of PEEBLESSHIRE vol III page 195  authors JW Buchan & Rev H Paton
" In 1891 Lord Carmichael (then Sir Thomas Gibson Carmichael) succeeded to the property.......Both he and Lady Carmichael did much for the domestic comfort and social happiness of the people on the estate.
In 1905 Castlecraig was sold to Mr James Mann."

Castlecraig was bought by Renewal Clinics around 1987/88 and is now a rehab centre.

It may be of interest for your research that Castlecraig was formerly known as Kirkurd House. Not sure when the name changed.

Hope you had a lovely Brownie weekend. Netherurd is a beautiful property and the new Brownie House is fantastic!

Avril

Offline Tarth water

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 September 10 13:30 BST (UK) »
Castle Craig was a residential school for many years.  Firstly owned by Peeblesshire council and then by Glasgow corporation and Strathclyde Region.  The current building stands near the site of the original house.  There is an old graveyard in the grounds and the ruin of what was the original Kirkurd |Church