Author Topic: Anglo Zulu War 1879  (Read 11192 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anglo Zulu War 1879
« on: Monday 02 November 09 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi:  I've got a guy who died in the Anglo Zulu War at Isandalwana and I'm confused about his rank.

His grave states that he was a Conductor in the Natal Native Contingent, died 22 January 1879.  In "The Story of an African City" it says he was a Colour-Sergeant of the 1st Native Contingent.  Are these ranks one and the same?  Can anyone help?

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anglo Zulu War 1879
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 November 09 17:38 GMT (UK) »
THE NNC had Conductors. According to Tavender's they had no Colour Sergeant casualties. They probably did not have 'colours' so they would not need them. They come above the sergeants so they may have been equivalent to Color Sergeant. You need an NNC expert.

The two NNC Conductors killed at Isandhlwana were Doyle and Le Roux, and they were with the 1st Battalion. If you post his name I may have a photograph of him on the memorial.

The Commissariat and Transport Staff also had Conductors. According to Tavender's book the two C&TS Conductors to die were KIA at Intombe River.

Ken

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 November 09 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken:  He was Conductor J P K Archbell (from the 1879memorials.com website, which appears to have disappeared) - don't know how the K got in there as his name was James Philip.  I've got a photograph of his grave at Isandalwana but can't read the detail, other than Archbell at the base;  plus the entry from The Story of an African City, which said he was a Colour-Sergeant.  It was just the anomaly of Conductor and Colour-Sergeant which confused me.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 09 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Strange, I can see no Archbell on any casualty list for the war.  :-\
Any chance you can scan the photo for us?
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 09 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm not verygood with pictures, so will send it to you via e-mail.  I'll PM you to get your e-mail address.

BumbleB
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ladysmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 13:39 GMT (UK) »
I've checked the Zulu War medal roll for all 5 battalions of the Natal Native Cotingent and he doesn't show up. I've also checked the Army Service Corps and the Commissariat & Transport Staff rolls, as these units had conductors, in case he was seconded from either but he doesn't show up there either.

David

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Well, that's interesting  ???  I've got two photographs of his grave at Isandlwana, and two mentions that he was with the Natal Native Contingent.  One photograph and mention are from the same source, the others are from completely different sources, the second photograph was taken by someone who actually visited Isandalwana and the second mention was from a book called The Story of an African City.  The photograph clearly shows the name of Archbell on the base.  Both mentions state that he died on 22 January 1879.  Forgot to add he was South African, born in Pietermaritzburg.  I'm getting very confused  ::) ::)  Not difficult at my age!

BumbleB
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Is your photo of a brown/pink coloured memorial?

J.P.Archbell was a Sgt Conductor (equiv.to a col.sgt) in the Native Contingent. Died 22nd Jan 1879 at isandlwana.

He is remembered on the memorial erected to The Old Boys of Piterermaritzburg School (college?) at the battlefield.

Regards

Pete

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Is your photo of a brown/pink coloured memorial?
J.P.Archbell was a Sgt Conductor (equiv.to a col.sgt) in the Native Contingent. Died 22nd Jan 1879 at isandlwana.
He is remembered on the memorial erected to The Old Boys of Piterermaritzburg School (college?) at the battlefield.

Regards
Pete

Pete,

I don't doubt for a second that this memorial/grave that you and BumbleB talk of is there. But how then do we account for the fact that this is then the only apparent mention of him?
- he's not listed on the official casualty returns
- his name doesn't appear on the medal roll.
He should of course appear in both. If there is some independent evidence that confirms the memorial I'd feel a lot happier, but until then the jury is out I think.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals