Author Topic: Monitor  (Read 6334 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Monitor
« on: Thursday 05 November 09 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I would like opinion/advice from those with more knowledge than me please.

I am about to buy a new monitor. 

I have the old type huge one at present and now want thinner model.  Whilst I would like something about 17" it seems that 20" is about the smallest normal available from suppliers that I would buy from and I have one in mind of a well known make etc., from a well known department store.

However I know that some people have bought a TV and use it as a monitor.  Is this a good idea?  How do I know that a particular TV is suitable?  Whatever you can tell me would be welcome.

Thanks.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: Monitor
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 09 22:51 GMT (UK) »
You can buy an Acer X193HQ which is 18.5" from Tesco (£79) and PC World (£109).  Notice the price difference for an identical product!  I think 18.5" is the smallest size stand-alone PC monitor you can buy at the moment.

You can buy PC/TV monitors but they are usually more expensive than just a PC monitor.  A PC monitor does not have a TV receiver so you would have to fit a PC card to you computer to watch TV, hence the reason for the price difference.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 November 09 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks downside.

I saw the Acer offer in my several local Tescos a while back but not there now!  Rather wish I had bought at the time.  I won't buy from PC World anyway.

Thanks for explaining the difference from just a monitor and TV.

Selina

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 09 23:38 GMT (UK) »
I just had a look at their webite and they have an LG W1943S-PF 18.5" PC Monitor but it costs £89.  Fortunately I bought the Acer monitor back in the spring. :)
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 November 09 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Since you're a genealogist, a widescreen monitor might be useful, because you can put two A4 images side by side for comparison and transcription.

However, the most important thing is to buy a monitor with the correct connection - many new monitors now only have a DVI connection, which is digital, and the plug has two blocks of pins which are oriented at 90 degrees to each other.  I suspect your old monitor has the old VGA connection, which is a D shaped connector with 15 round pins.  If you buy a DVI only monitor, and your computer does not have a DVI output, you won't be able to use it.  You can still get monitors with VGA only or with both DVI and VGA, which makes them "future proof".

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 November 09 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Selina,

A few months ago, I decided to get rid of my huge monitor and purchased a thinner 19" monitor and am quite happy with it.

We shopped around for price value ..... then OH  sent  me elsewhere in the store while he negoitated the price ;D

Cheers
KHP

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 November 09 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Many thanks Nick for that information - I had no idea about DVI and VGA and will make sure I get the correct thing.  Think I have to have VGA from what I can see and will find out more about the HP monitor I am considering.   At any rate I now know I have to be careful!

Your point about screen size is also good, it would be handy to be able to transcribe without having to make both pages as small as I do now.

Kiwi - Glad to hear you are pleased with yours.  Unfortunately I have to do the negotiating!  Last time we got a new car it took me three-quarters of a hour to get the price right.  Not sure that John Lewis barter though!

Best wishes,

Cara

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 November 09 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Its been interesting and worthwhile looking into this.

My computer supports and has connections for, VGA, TV and DVI so I am not limited for choice.

The monitor I was thinking about is VGA only.  Before I finally buy one I am going to have another little look around to see what is available now that I know what is what!

Thanks for your help downside, Nick and kiwi

Selina

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 November 09 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Your point about screen size is also good, it would be handy to be able to transcribe without having to make both pages as small as I do now.

Even with  putting the screen on "Tile Windows Horizontally", I have no problems with my pages when transcribing with the screen size

KHP