Author Topic: The Ostrich Inn , Leverton  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Dalmatian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Ostrich Inn , Leverton
« on: Friday 06 November 09 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I´m doing some research on the Ostrich Inn in Leverton where my uncle Cyril Wright was the publican during the 1950´s, now a private house.I wondered if anyone knew when it was built , why it was called the Ostrich , if anyone had any memories of it.any information would be gratefully recieved!
Wrights , Pickwells, Booths ,Lincolnshire
Mantles , Nottinghamshire
O'Reillys Ireland , Manchester , Skegness

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Ostrich Inn , Leverton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 15:33 GMT (UK) »
have you seen this super site?

http://www.myleverton.com/

may be someone able to help

Diddy  ;D
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 15:35 GMT (UK) »
it also gives details of 2 books on the village & a DVD. site belongs to leverton history group i think.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline richardrees51

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 10 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm new to this forum but picked up your message from a Google search for 'Ostrich, Leverton'.   
My mother's side of the family came from Leverton and her great grandfather Howard Wilson-Leary (1813 - 1874) was publican of the Ostrich from 1851 onwards.  His father George Wilson is recorded as publican in Pigots Directory of 1841.

I wondered if you had found any information about the pub from your previous enquiry on this website.

Regards

Richard Rees
Smith, Wilson, Leary (Lincs); Kingwell, Dymond (Devon); Rees (London, Australia, NZ); Thomson (Argyll); Lundie (Glasgow)

Offline AnnaDeee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Did you find out any more information about the Ostrich Inn? I have direct contact with the current owners and wonder if any additional information has come to light?