Author Topic: leather dresser (journeyman)  (Read 8660 times)

Offline Katie123

• My emails are not working at the moment sorry
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • HUNTing down the past (haha - GENIUS)
    • View Profile
leather dresser (journeyman)
« on: Saturday 07 November 09 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
What was a leather dresser (journeyman)? It is listed exactly like that on my grandmother's birth certificate in 1918. Is it something to do with the war? As the man in question was in the Royal Army Service Corps in 1918; I know he was involved with the transporting of horses...so I would have assumed that he would have put something about being a soldier rather than a leather dresser?!?
Any help appreciated :)
Byrne (Wexford), Hogan (Wexford), Hunt (London & Sussex) and Leeson (Northampton)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: leather dresser (journeyman)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 November 09 12:56 GMT (UK) »
As a journeyman (from the French journee - by the day) he would have completed an apprenticeship but was employed rather than having his own business.

A leather dresser carried out the final stages in converting a hide into leather preparing it to be made into specific goods.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 09 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Someone who had volunteered or been conscripted into the army because of the war might not think of himself as primarily a soldier.  He was a leather dresser before, and probably hoped to go back to that trade afterwards.  If it wasn't him, but his wife who  registered the birth the same might apply to the way she thought of him.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 November 09 15:20 GMT (UK) »
If the father had enlisted into the army then his occupation would be soldier, but being forcibly conscripted into the forces during war wasn't considered an occupation.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Katie123

• My emails are not working at the moment sorry
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • HUNTing down the past (haha - GENIUS)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 09 18:32 GMT (UK) »
thank you all :)
Byrne (Wexford), Hogan (Wexford), Hunt (London & Sussex) and Leeson (Northampton)