Author Topic: Hilda Neill  (Read 2860 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Hilda Neill
« on: Tuesday 10 November 09 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

These are pieces of a sad/tragic jigsaw put together from snippets of information over a couple of years,  which with help I would like to try and clarify but possibly need a miracle to do so!!!

I believe Hilda to have been born 3 Nov 1914 Tombstone. Bisbee. Arizona. ( I haven't found a record of this yet)
Can anyone help to confirm this date of birth ?

Hilda appears with her parents in Los Angles District 65 on 1920 census.

I am looking for a record of Hilda's marriage to a Gilbert Evans (born 1907 Indiana) on 1 Dec 1930 in Los Angeles.  She would only just be 16 years old if her birth was correct. Gilbert was in the navy but apparently lived at 210 S Ave 19, Los Angeles at the time of marriage. He was also severely burnt in an explosion on a Navy Craft in 1932. He died in Indiana in 1993

The marriage would be after the 1930 census was taken but I can find neither Hilda Neill or Gilbert (Delman ?) Evans on the 1930 census. 
Could anyone help me find a census record of either of them ? Sorry just checked my noted and Hilda is with her parents in 1930 - spelt Jeeda. So its Gilbert I am looking for.

Hilda and Gilbert divorce.  Hilda then marries a James Pecararo by about 1940. Apparently James Pecararo had changed his name when he immigrated from Italy but I still hope to find a marriage or death record ?
James lost part of a hand in a pasta machine at work.  They may have bought a small grocery store on Indiana Street, presumably in Los Angeles (between Whittier Bvld and 1st Street)

Unfortunately Hilda died from traumatic injuries after being hit by a car in Los Angeles in 1967 .
Could anyone help find a death record or a place of burial for this ?

If anyone could help with even the smallest piece of information it would be brilliant.

Thank You.
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Hilda Neill
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra:

To backtrack, have you found Gilbert/Delman on the 1920 census?  I do see the family in 1910.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Yes, he is still in Terre Haute, Vigo, Indiana with his parents & more siblings.  Although his father is called Robert - he is Vern in 1920.  I have'nt investigated his parents/siblings or found there marriage yet.  Only just starting this search.

The age of Hilda at her marriage mystified me but the story is she "fibbed" about her age.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 18:53 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if the places of birth would be consistent with the 1910 census, and they are.  So, we should be able to find Gilbert, born Indiana, with parents born in Illinois.  (Of course, we have to check each image to see the parents' place of birth.)

I'll have a look around (for the 1930).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa.

If Gilbert was in the Navy and at sea when the census was taken - might that be a reason for not finding him ?
Or were they still recorded ?

Sandra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, another question, please.  Where is Hilda/Jeeda in 1930?  Is she shown as Neill?  (Do not see her in California.)
-------------
Found her.  Sorry.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 19:33 GMT (UK) »
 ;D
Hilda M Pecorie, born 3 November 1914, Arizona.  Died 12 December 1967, Los Angeles.

Another entry:
Helen M Pecoraro, born 3 November 1914, Arizona.  Died 12 December 1967, Los Angeles.

Her social security number is also given.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Thank you - that does prove the birth and death dates are correct.
So she would have been underage at that first marriage - would it be annulled under those circumstances/rather than then being divorced ?

I think the information on the 1st marriage may have come from a family bible but I am just guessing.
1 Dec 1930 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints by the Bishop Albin Hoglun - presumably Los Angeles.

Chances are that the marriage to James Pecoraro was in Los Angeles as well.

Sandra

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure what the required age for marriage was as of 1930, but this from 1919 seems to say that women only had to be 15:  http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/history/hgoe49.htm