Author Topic: Martha Cowan  (Read 2844 times)

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha Cowan
« on: Wednesday 11 November 09 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find Martha Cowan who was born to Frances Jane Cowan at Under Burnmouth in the Parish of Castleton in 1895. Martha's mother died in 1899 and Martha lived with her stepfather John James Irving and in the 1901 census she is listed as Martha Cowan Irving. Any help gratefully received. :)
Brina

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Cowan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I think I should probably share a little more of the information I have re Martha and the problem I have is that I have no record of what happened to Martha after the 1901 Census in Scotland. Martha's mother married my great grandfather, John James Irving, in 1897.   Her mother had a son to John James Irving who was called Thomas (Tom) Irving but he was killed in WW1. After her mother died she stayed with John James Irving for a number of years but I do not know how long. However John James Irving married Jemima Cairns (my great grandmother) in 1912 and at sometime time thereafter Martha and her half brother Tom went to live with other relatives. I am sure that my grandmother told me they left to live with an aunt and uncle but I do not know if this was Scotland or England as they lived near the border so it could be either.

Perhaps I should also have said that I have checked the scotlandspeople site and nothing appears obvious. I tried both Cowan and Irving when looking.

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 09 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking for Toms WW1 records on Ancestry.com?  If they are there,  they would give the address he signed up with.  Possibly Martha would be at same address, and give you a place/area to start looking for Marriages and death for her.  (Sorry, but I don't have Anc. at the moment so cannot look for you.)

However , it does give on the CWGC site, under extra information, the address of Toms father.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=871701
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 November 09 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

To be honest it hadn't occured to me to look for the address that he signed up from - good thinking - thank you so much.   The address on CWGC is definitely his father's address as I already have that.

I do not have ancestry subscription but will work on it.

Thank again.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 November 09 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brina

I can't see anything that comes close for Thomas on Ancestry's service papers which include attestment papers as well. There was one possibility, a little younger and same regiment, but he looks to have signed on after your Thomas' death date  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 November 09 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I wonder if you would be good enough to check ancestry again for me with Thomas's service no which is 20247 and also he was in the King's Own Scottish Borderers.   When I did a quick search on ancestry two popped up with three stars so I am hoping that one might be his.

Many thanks.

Brina

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 November 09 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brina

I can see a medal card with that Regimental Number for Thomas Irving in the right regiment. Is this the one you mean? There is no personal details on it though.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 November 09 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thank you so much for looking for me.   Maybe someone will eventually get in touch re Martha.   Here's hoping and thank you again.  :)

Brina