Author Topic: Joan ( Jackie ) Crookston of the Tranent Massacre  (Read 52163 times)

Offline Lois_Moon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joan ( Jackie ) Crookston of the Tranent Massacre
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 29 January 12 00:14 GMT (UK) »
A very horrific read, all of this about the massacre.  It was news to me until I found this tread a couple of days ago.

Stephen BROTHERSTONE was my 4x grandfather.  I was in looking for his death information when I found your postings.  He was born is 1743 and his wife was Margaret THOMSON and his childen were born in 1778, 1780 & 1787.

Lois
BROTHERSTON - E Lothian; CURRIE - Islay
MOON - Cornwall

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 29 January 12 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lois,

I am glad that you now know what happened to Stephen, have you managed to find a death registration for him or not I would be interested to find out please.

Regards.

Archie.

Offline Lois_Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 29 January 12 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Archie and all

My cousin will have a look on Scotlands People for that, now that we have a date.  I'll let you know when I hear from her.

Lois
BROTHERSTON - E Lothian; CURRIE - Islay
MOON - Cornwall

Offline JHC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 03 February 12 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I have read through this Crookston thread and would like to ask about James Crookston who married Janet Wood 1822 Tranent. There were children Jemima 1826 and Jean / Jane 1824.
James died and Janet Wood married Andrew Archibald, which is where I fit in (also Coalminers).

Is that James Crookston related to the Crookston of the massacre?

Thanks.
Jean (from cold, wet, Sydney, Australia)
Woodforth, Woodford, Cramp, Harriman, Patchet, Whitehead; Woodhouse area, Leicestershire

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 04 February 12 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Jean

James Crookston who married Janet Wood was the nephew of Jackie Crookston of the Massacre.

If you use the links posted here by Gow67 on 14 August 2010 and the summary from my first post of 14 March 2010, you find that this James Crookston was the son of Robert Crookston by his first wife Rosina Redpath (I've got Joanna as his wife, but reckon that's a handwriting thing).  Anyway, the links from Gow67 will give you dates and lots more.

As for Wood, more research would be needed to link your Janet Wood to the William Wood and Janet Wood mentioned in my posts in March 2010.  The dates indicate that your Janet Wood is not one of the ladies of that name already mentioned.  But they could easily be related and give you a double connection.

So you too are a member of this big family and related to a statue in the centre of this lovely (!) town.  You will find plenty photographs of the statue by using Google

Regards

David (from cold wet Tranent)

Offline JHC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 04 February 12 13:51 GMT (UK) »
David
Thankyou for the previous links, which I'll read with interest.

My Janet Wood was born 1803, daughter of Archibald Wood and Janet Brown. (She had a son named Archibald Wood Archibald in 1832, to her second husband.)

I drove through Tranent in 2007 and saw the statue, but didn't know the connection at the time.

Regards
Jean

Woodforth, Woodford, Cramp, Harriman, Patchet, Whitehead; Woodhouse area, Leicestershire

Offline lindeyblonde

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am new on here. I have been researching  my family tree for a few years now. My grandmother was Jean Crookston Armour b 1905. Jackie crookston features in my tree but haven't quite worked out relationships. there is load of info here and I would like to use it, and cross check with my tree. I hope this is ok.
I have been to see the statue too and feel very proud to say she is an ancestor!!

Offline richard watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 17 March 12 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I was born in Tranent and I'm a direct descendant of Euphemia Adam and James Smith. Euphemia was a brother of John Adam who was one of the casualties of the massacre. Their son James my direct ancestor married Catherine Hogg who was a descendant of William Hogg and Mary Braid who in turn were grandparents to Jackie Crookston. The Smith family were from Newton and members of their family were the Bennetts and the Moffats. There was a William Smith who was also killed during the massacre. I'm not sure if he was a distant relative but James Smith senior did have a brother William. There is also a book about the history of Tranent(McNeill). I read it many years ago and there is a mention of some of the casualties.
                                                                                                                     Richard.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 18 March 12 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindeyblonde and Richard

Templar has not been online for a few weeks. He will have got notifcation of your posts and hopefully will post back soon.

Welcome to RootsChat, Lindeyblonde!

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk