Author Topic: EADES - Bromsgrove  (Read 10326 times)

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
EADES - Bromsgrove
« on: Thursday 19 November 09 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

In 1859 Harriet EADES married Samuel LAUGHER.  (Harriet's parents were Joseph EADES and Ann WILLIAMS, married 1828.)  Harriet came to an untimely end when she was murdered by her daughter Sarah Ann BROOMFIELD in 1901.  This was, I think, Harriet's second marriage.  (Care needs to be taken as there were two Harriet EADES baptised in 1830!

A Henry EADES married, in 1857, Sarah Ann LAUGHER, daughter of Robert LAUGHER and Mary PINFIELD.

I seem to have connections both above and below Harriet's marriage, via HANDS and PINFIELD, who are themselves inter-connected.

What might  you know about any of this, please?

Thank you kindly folks

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline nthnyds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: EADES - Bromsgrove
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 November 09 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yegvard  8)

I have some background information  courtesy of some research I did a few years ago looking for my family.
Harriet Eades married Samuel Laugher on the 20th December 1859 - registered at Bromsgrove. Samuel was a nailer at crabmill. His father Richard was also a nailer, as was Harriet.
Witnesses to the marriage were: Benjamin Laugher, Sarah Laugher and Joseph Rose.

Harriet and Samuel had a daughter Sarah, who married Reuben Broomfield.

In 1902 Sarah (the daughter) bludgeoned her mother Harriet to death with a nailing hammer, and then committed suicide by drinking poison.

You mention a second Harriet Eades baptised in 1830. She was the daughter (6th child) of James Eades and Mary (Unknown) and was baptised on the 29th August 1830.
They lived in Apes Dale near Licky, Bromsgrove and were also nailors.

There is a tragic relationship between these two segments of the Eades family. This second Harriet - daughter of James and Mary - had an elder sister Charlotte who was baptised on the 29th December 1822. Charlotte married Joseph Pearcy on the 25 January 1841.
Sometime around the turn of the century when Charlotte and Joseph were pensioners with a small shop selling matches, sweets and cigarettes, she was bludgeoned to death with an axe, in her shop, by a deranged Frenchman.  :o

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 November 09 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the note.  Looks likes the EADES weren't a lucky family.

Did you get back any further generations with the EADES?  I know my Harriet's parents were Joseph and Ann.

Mike
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA

Offline nthnyds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 November 09 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vegvard,

Not really as this line was not my immediate family. There is a possibility that Joseph's parents were a Joseph and Mary Eades.
Their children were:
John 30.12.1791
William 30.12.1791

Offline nthnyds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 November 09 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vegvard,

Not really as this line was not my immediate family. There is a possibility that Joseph's parents were a Joseph and Mary Eades.
Their children were:
John 30.12.1791
William 30.12.1791
James 27.11.1793 who died early
Joseph 28.2.1796 (This may be Harriett's father)
Cecily 23.2.1800
Jervis 26.6.1803
James 26.6.1803 (more twins)

Harriet had an older brother, John, born 21.1.1829

As I said - this is only a possible link and you need to check.

(Sorry for the "finger"  trouble when posted only a few of the children)

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 November 09 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for your trouble.  Every Little Helps as the advert say.

It's not my main line either, but certain names just keep popping up.  Another EADES turned up on Friday.  A 'Phebe' EADES, born 1740, looks like being the grandmother of Hannah MANNING who married John HANDS in 1835.

I have no idea of the link, yet, to either Harriet EADES or Henry EADES.

Thanks again, and if you have any more sourced snippets, you know where to find me.

Mike
GARDNER, Solihull;

Offline kaleigh24

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 10:12 GMT (UK) »
my mom is part of the laugher family one member of my family did research which took us back to sarah and harriet x

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kaleigh,

A lot of my LAUGHER information came from a contact, however, I have a good deal of PINFIELD and some EADES information.  I have still not been able to connect the 2 EADES familes.

Do you want to continue the research?  Any photographs you wish to share would be most welcome.

Mike

GARDNER, Solihull;

Offline mil3198

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 19:41 BST (UK) »
Good evening,
My husband is related to the Laugher family in Bromsgrove & we saw the sad story of Harriet Laugher & her step daughter Sarah Ann Broomfield on the British Newspaper Archive site last night. Having spent an interesting few hours researching the family today on line - a click onto Roots chat earlier could have saved me time!!
I believe that Samuel Laugher had a previous marriage to Jane ?Franks and that Harriet was his second wife (20 years age difference).
I believe that Harriet had a sister was called Emma and was married to a Luke Dipple (another name of my husbands family - ?any connection); a sister Alice (18340, a brother John (1838); and a sister Carolin (1840).
Any further information would be appreciated.
Thanks