Author Topic: DNA anyone?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline john franks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
DNA anyone?
« on: Sunday 22 November 09 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I came across this in The Age, Melbourne:

"Claim on Hogwarts castle
LONDON
November 22, 2009

The Duke of Northumberland, whose ancestral seat, Alnwick Castle, is the setting for Hogwarts school in the Harry Potter films, is facing a challenge to his title.

Kevin Percy, a New Zealander, insists he is the rightful heir to the estate. He has written to the Queen seeking her support to exhume the 5th Earl of Northumberland, who died in 1560, to see if the remains match his DNA.

Ralph Percy, the 12th Duke of Northumberland, is confident he will see off the challenge to his 50,000-hectare estate.

Kevin Percy, 74, believes his family was cheated out of the title"

Another reason for getting your DNA analysed?

John
Mellanby One-name Study. Also family history of Walker, Braithwaite, Barrett, Weidner, Howard.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 09 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I think Kevin Percy would be better employed in brushing up his history rather than chasing speculative DNA ie Henry Algernon Percy, 5th Earl of Northumberland died 19 May 1527 not in 1560!  ;D
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 09 17:52 GMT (UK) »
It would be intersting to see what line of descent Kevin Percy is claiming from the 5th Earl because as far as I can see the male line dies out. If that is the case then a DNA test will be of no use to him.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 November 09 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm...... methinks a DNA test would reveal that he probably sired a large proportion of Northumberland, which was par for the course in those days  ;D
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk