Author Topic: Rock of Monaghan  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Sani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rock of Monaghan
« on: Wednesday 25 November 09 06:43 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for Sarah Rock(e). unfortunately all I know is that she was born in Monaghan in 1807 and came to Australia before 1844 when she married John West. Can anyone please help me find her parents and siblings    Sani

Offline jackstorey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rock of Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 17:24 GMT (UK) »
The Rock family are listed in the Church Records of Donagh Anglican, Glennan Presbyterian & a few in Clontibret Anglican. All North Monaghan Church records are now available on CD.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 December 09 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm working with someone on Wests in Monaghan, only have one West connected to my family.

Have you any other "crumbs" which may help narrow it down? Rumours/family tales....etc
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 00:18 GMT (UK) »
All I know for sure is that Sarah was born in 1807 in Monaghan and her life after she married John West in Geelong 1844. I have their family all born in Australia. There was a Doctor Thomas Rock  living in Geelong about the same time and is presumed to be her father but no confirmation on that. John was b 1801 in Chigwell, Essex and is said to have been transported to Tasmania ( 1830's) as a convict and later moved to Geelong where he became a farmer and wood-cutter. Several family members have different versions of how he came to Australia so we don't really know anything for sure. As far as I know , John was never in Ireland.       Sani

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Would the doc have been a doctor in Ireland?

Offline Sani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 00:05 GMT (UK) »
If he is Sarah's father, its most likely he was from Monaghan too and therefore would have worked there.     I don't know John West's family so I can't tell you if he was ever in Ireland, but info suggests that he was n't     Sani

Offline jackstorey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 12:10 GMT (UK) »
The Rock families were concentrated in the Donagh & Tyholland Parishes and were always Anglican religion.   The Billis Farm in Donagh belonged to the Rocks until the late 1870's and there was another Rock family living at Killeef in Tyholland Parish. 

Offline Sani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 February 10 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Rock and John West were married in Scots Church at Maud in Geelong. While I don't know what religion they were, I know they were not Catholic. I have a feeling they met in Geelong and didn't know each other before they arrived, as Sarah was born in Monaghan and John in Chigwell, England. I have no knowledge of either of them before they came to Australia, I'm sorry to say.      Sani

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 February 10 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if you have Sarah's death certificate and if it gives any further details on where in Monaghan she was born. Sometimes there are good details on these certs.

Without other details, family members etc you will find it almost impossible to find her exact family.

If you have the cert then where exactly does it say she was born?

There were Rock families in Monaghan and they attended various churches so obviously there were different families and you are very much at the earliest available church record dates.

Also, does her marriage cert give parent's names or any clues?

Often there are clues overlooked on the certs!