Author Topic: Looking for Relatives of Richard Napoleon Wyombe Townsend REECE  (Read 53002 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Relatives of Richard Napoleon Wyombe Townsend REECE
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 04:14 GMT (UK) »
I think it was reply #34 or 35 where I listed burials at the Bingara Cemetery for

Frederic John d 24 Jun 1919, age 25
William Weston d 23 July1919, age 34
18 Jul 1919, aged 1 day Ivy Joan dau of William Weston

Looking at the Warialda Standard Jul28, 1919 it states that William and his baby daughter died from influenza.

Warialda Standard, 19 Jul, 1931
Mr G (sic) S Reece, an old resident of Bingara died in Sydney on the 11th inst and his body was conveyed to Bingara for interment.

So this would be his death (NSW BMDs)
17525/1931  Jacob S REECE    Father Isaac, mother  Annie A, registered at Petersham.

Another couple of snippets!

This thread is so long now  :(  I can't remember whether you have his death cert - probably well worth getting if not.

I looked for the shipping ref for the person going Melb- Tasmania in 1852 but couldn't find the fiche to look at.  Also tried to find Bingara newspapers but that will have to wait for another time.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Friday 15 January 10 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello all again..

Im back from holidays AGAIN..last one for a while  :(
Anywho, I came home to the certificate I ordered from the UK....Marriage of Benjamin and Ellen....it tells us no more than we already new.... :(

So sorry guys. any other certificates you can think might help

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Friday 15 January 10 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Had a good trawl through various records at the Nat Library earlier in the week.

Firstly, the passenger list  Melbourne-Tasmania 1852 showed Henry ADELAIDE, 40 and Anne ADELAIDE, 26 on the Eucalyptus arriving Hobart 22 Apr 1852.   Looks unlikely.

Secondly, some publications from the Bingara Historical Society which are fascinating and I would strongly suggest you get in contact with them.  One article even had a list of the 7 descendant families still in the district - possibly with a mine of information.  Whoo-hoo - another Christian name for Ellen!!

All of this info is in the publications and I have no idea how reliable it is but here are two pertinent extracts:

Jacob Steel REECE b 1860 at or near Scone NSW; came to Bingara, 1865. Mother became a teacher at the first school in Bingara.

The STEELE family: Isaac STEELE (origins Bourne, near Leeds, England) arrived in Brisbane in 1857 on the Parsee.  18 January 1858, married Maria Green from Hampshire who had also arr Brisbane 1857. Stayed in Brisbane till moving to Inverell district in 1886.  (My comment - this is a bit bizarre as we have Helen/Ellen/Orella calling herself Helen STEEL at Annie's wedding in 1861 in Scone, and dying with the STEELE surname - I think it may be just a co-incidence of surnames, as this Isaac STEELE seems to have no connection with Helen or her husband Jacob)

Then there are these biographical details:

ANNIE ADELAIDE REECE (nee MADDRAH), dau of William and Hosella 'Ellen', stepdaughter of Jacob Steele, b c1845, d1893 Emmaville, m (1) Isaac Reece, 1861 Scone, (2) William Townsend regd 1869 Warialda.  Isaac and Annie left Scone and came to Bingara around 1864-5, where Annie became a teacher in Bingara's first school.

HOSELLA/ORELLA/ELLEN STEELE (formerly MADDRAH, nee BEARCROFT) b c1812, d1883 Bingara, bur Bingara m (1) ? Maddrah, (2) Jacob Steele.  Jacob and Ellen left Scone and came to Bingara around 1864-5 and settled out on the Narrabri Rd. Jacob was an early Bingara builder and cabinet maker.

So - another name for her, and you can see how 'Hosella' could have turned into 'Ursula' on the cert Margaret has.

I found a photo of her granddaughter’s grave in Warialda cemetery with her name shown as Hosella Margaret McCaw.  She seems to be in the NSW BMDs as Margaret Orselle McCaw

http://austcemindex.com/inscription.php?id=3987016

Did we have Annie’s death?
1893 Annie Townsend, father Jacob, mother Ellen, registered at Emmaville, #5706

The Bingara publications have a photo of Annie and also a photo of Hosella/Ellen/Helen/Ursula/Orella

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Friday 15 January 10 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Judith, will get onto it on Monday...I wonder if it might be better if I actually drive to bingara and warialda and stay for a week....hmmm ;)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Friday 15 January 10 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I think you might find out a lot!!  Perhaps the Historical Society could put you in touch with the other families.  One of the articles was written by a descendant.

Judith

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Saturday 16 January 10 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith, Do you think actually going there would be a better idea?

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Saturday 16 January 10 02:15 GMT (UK) »
My thoughts are that you should contact the Historical Society in the first instance.  They certainly appear to be a busy and productive group.

Historical Society Museum Bingara
Maitland Street
Bingara, NSW 2404
Email: bingaramuseum[at]digisurf.com.au

Judith

Offline townsend13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Thursday 04 February 10 05:51 GMT (UK) »
hi my name is Leonie ( townsend13). Richard whycome is acutally whycome napoleon richard townsend born to annie adelade  ( nee maddrah , reece ) & William Townsend born 1871. 18834.He was my great grandfather they had ten children. Being
William H Townsend b 1869 married Clara Roles 1889  (4644 )
Whycome Napoleon Townsend B 1871
Mary Elizabeth Townsend B 1872  07716-m augustus E Couglin 1898 2227
Annie Amelia  Townsend b 1874 19592
George William Townsend B 1875  18500
Sophia Townsend B 1876 17465
Hannah Townsend B  1879  M Daniel Staines 1898 5884
Albert Earnest J Townsend b 1880  09297 ? is this ernie reece who lived at 21 griffen ave tamworth
Mary A Malady 1900 3728
Florence M Townsend b 1884 19145 had a son William H Townsend when she was 14 in 1898 got married at 16 yrs old to henry White 19000 8672
Elizabeth E Townsend B 1887 16860

Now William & Clara  married in 1889 had
Thomas George ( my dad) 1896 29061
Roy B 1899  26733
Richard A  B 1899 01575  died at about 9-10 yrs old
Clara B 1900 29699

Now I had a call from a man saying that Annie Adelade was aboriginal. Have you heard anything about this. He lived in Sydney.

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Thursday 04 February 10 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leonie,

I am Dianne and Whycombe Napoelon Townsend REECE?? b 1871 Srname variation as explained earlier in the thread is my great grandad ......  :) and your great grandad is my great great grandad.

As for aboriginal I have the exact same story. From the horses mouth. My grandad told his kids that he was part aboriginal??? hmm maybe youd like to get in touch and work it out.

OOOHHHH JUDITH...thankyou so much.got info today. You are great