Author Topic: Marriage Register-St Mary Luton and Langford. James JACKSON - *COMPLETED*  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Merlin2000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Register-St Mary Luton and Langford. James JACKSON - *COMPLETED*
« on: Thursday 26 November 09 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to clarify the parents of James Jackson, born 1832 in Limbury, Bedfordshire who married Hannah Brazier on 21st April 1851 at St Mary, Luton, Bedfordshire. (Source: IGI)

The 1841 census lists James Jackson's family as John (Born 1801 age 40), Mary (Born 1801 age 40), Sarah (Born 1821 age 20), Sophia (Born 1826 age 15), Thomas (Born 1829 age 12), James (Born 1832 age 9) and George (Born 183 age 7).

The 1841 census is for Limbury, Luton, Limbury Cum Biscot and is Piece 4, Book/Folio 16/7, Page 9.

All references in IGI that I can find for James Jackson give his father as John Jackson and his mother as Mary - no maiden name is given .

After searching IGI through FamilySearch and Pipl I can only find two couples that seem to fit. The first is John Jackson and Mary Franklin, married 23rd December 1820 at Langford, Bedfordshire and the second is John Jackson and Mary Smith, married 13th October 1818 at St Mary, Luton, Bedfordshire.

John Jackson and Mary's eldest child Sarah was Christened on 13th May 1821 at Barton In The Clay, Bedfordshire and, presumably, was born a couple of weeks before that date.

From the above I can only conclude that, if Mary Franklin was the mother of Sarah, then it was a marriage of necessity. If Mary Smith was the mother, there was an unusual amount of time to the first born unless there was another child before Sarah that is not listed on the 1841 census.

I am relatively new to this so I am now at a loss. Is there any way of confirming which couple is James Jackson's parents?

Any help would be appreciated.

John.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Register-St Mary Luton and Langford. JAMES JACKSON'S Parents
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 09 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Welcome to Rootschat

Have you looked for them in 1851, which is a much more informative census than 1841?

In Limbury was John Jackson 52 with wife Mary 52, dau Sophia 25; and sons James 19 and George 17; all born Luton

In the hamlet of Lower Stondon, Shillington was John Jackson 50 b Henlow, wife Mary 50 b Langford; dau Mary 21 and son Joseph 13 both b Shillington.

The two families tie up with the 1841 census - the other thing to be aware of with the 1841 census is that ages over 15 were rounded down to the nearest 5 below. There's every chance that Sarah age 20 in 1841 could have had an elder sibling who had married and flown the nest by 1841 - how about William baptised 11 Apr 1819 at Luton, who may have been the 30 year old William Jackson living next door to John in 1851?

I'm pretty confident as to which John and Mary your James was the son of!

Baptisms don't normally include the mother's maiden name.

Mary Franklin's nephew was a bigamist, but that's another story! And as I'm sure she wasn't in your James' line totally irrelevant, but it made for an entertaining thread on this board - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,81286.0.html

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 09 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
As you say you are new to this-here is something you can try on IGI Family Search to double check your census info.
Put in James Jackson Birth/Bap 1832/British Isles/England/Bedford and bring up the parents John and Mary-then click on Batch no.-bottom left-this brings up another page. Just put in father's name John Jackson and underneath just put mother as Mary-hit return and it will bring up all James's siblings.
Most of the ones you found on the census are there, but there isn't a Sarah. There is in addition a David born 1839 and a William born 1819 -quite early and perhaps this fits with the 1818 marriage you found.
It would probably be a good idea to get the marriage certificate for the 1851 marriage, and then you would be sure of both father's names.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 09 15:10 GMT (UK) »

Most of the ones you found on the census are there, but there isn't a Sarah.

That's because she was baptised in Barton in the Clay, along with John in 1823.

I find it safer to just use the parents boxes on the main search page, John - Jackson - Mary and British Isles-England-Bedford, and you can limit it by date 1830 +/- 20 which makes the list more manageable. That way you can pick "out of parish" baptisms, and you can also see other baptisms of the same name eg the couple at Shillington. If you limit the search by batch number you only get baptisms in that parish.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Tim Cooper

• RootsChat Extra
  • A Colonial type wedding at Plymouth, Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 November 09 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello David,

Trying to contact you concerning Cooper Cousins in Henlow.

Tim

Sorry - I don't have anything about James Jacksons parents. Please excuse this as a way to make contact. Just joined RootsChat.

Offline Merlin2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Register-St Mary Luton and Langford. JAMES JACKSON - COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 November 09 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your prompt responses to my post.

As a newbie any tips or pointers are always welcome and the information has been very useful not only in answering my question but in helping with future searches.

Thanks once again.

John.