Author Topic: Doctor in Wrexham  (Read 4857 times)

Offline Laini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Doctor in Wrexham
« on: Thursday 26 November 09 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I have an obit for my gggg/f (died 1885) William Henry Bunn (I think i have all the available info on him) on the obit it says "longtime coachman for the late Doctor Griffith" (no first name) My question is; can anyone find out his first name and where he lived or did he have a surgery, if indeed they had surgeries then.

I know William lived in Harrison court, Mary anne sq and Lampit st. which were near the town centre, so I wouldn't imagine his employer would have been too far away.

Also on the obit it states that he (William) died in Chapel house, Chapel street. Why would he have died there, was it a hospital or workhouse of some sort. I think it was a welsh Chapel too and William only came to Wxm in 1850 via the Army then sgt in Wxm militia. He was born in Essex so he was English.

Not your normal look up but I hope someone can help

I have been to the Wxm museum but they couldn't tell me anything.

Thanks
Elaine
Bunn- Wrexham & Peldon, Essex: Jones: Glasspoole: Edwards: Williamson-Southampton: Sowell- Essex

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor in Wrexham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 09 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Could be this one.  ??? ??? ???

Slater's Directory of Glos, Herefs, Mon, Shrops, & Wales, 1859
There is a Thomas Taylor Griffith,  Surgeon Chester Street.

Deaths Sep 1876   
Griffith  Thomas Taylor  aged 80  Wrexham  11b 197

http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/assets/pdfs/museum/footprints/wrexhamap.pdf

No. 50 on this map is the Independant Chapel, Street Draw is Chapel Street.
The Chapel is still standing, I can`t say anything about him dying in Chapel House, but it wasn`t the Workhouse.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 09 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Taylor Griffith(s) 1796-1876, FRCS Engl., Justice of the Peace & Consulting Surgeon, is listed at 23/24 Chester Street Wrexham on the 1871 census.  ref RG10/5658/69/13  

According to this article from the BBC he was a physician and philanthropist who opened Wrexham's first dispensary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast/sites/wrexham/pages/wrexham6.shtml

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Laini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 November 09 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much. Now why couldnt I find that :-\ or the museum for that matter if he founded the first dipensary in Wxm

Thanks again
Elaine
Bunn- Wrexham & Peldon, Essex: Jones: Glasspoole: Edwards: Williamson-Southampton: Sowell- Essex

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 09 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I can see William is still a coachman in 1881, living at Harrisons Court.
On the same page is Jos? L Williams, also a General Practitioner living at Chester St House. This seems to be between the Seven Stars, still open  8)
and the Baptist Chapel, now gone. This would be near to the Old Register Office.
All these places are very close together.
Seven Stars is on the corner of Chester St and Lampit Street
I wouldn`t be surprised if William had kept his job with the new Doctor.

There is a book , Encyclopedia of Wrexham, it has lots of information and pictures about old place names and people. Much is taken from Palmers History of Wrexham. Both of these are in the Wrexham Museum.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Laini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all that :)
Due to you giving me a christian name, I have now found out loads of stuff eg. that he had a portrait painted that hung in the boardroom of the Infirmary plus his obit. I wonder where the portrait is now?

I also found out that it was Dr TT Griffith who attended John Evans, the miner trapped for days in Coedpoeth that survived by eating candles. So I imagine it would have been William that drove the carriage and doctor up there

I have the books mentioned and am now going to trawl through them in greater detail. You never know his coachman may get a mention by association. Not holding my breath though ;D

Does anyone else have an obsession about just one ancestor. It seems the more I find out, the more I want. Even little snippets will do. Finding out what he looked like (not likely) would be like finding the Holy Grail!

Regards
Obsessed of Wxm

Offline allen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 September 13 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Elaine,

I noted your post re Henry William Bunn a couple of years ago but have only now got to a question. My Bunn family were in the Chelmsford - Maldon area from about 1670 & I have noted all Bunn refs that I have found if only to discount a link. I have your Henry William and what appear to be 3 marriages but I dont have his parents. Please can you give me his birth and parents details so that I can check for a link ?. Also, please ask if you are looking for other Essex Bunn info, I may have it.

Thanks, Allen
Bunn Scandrett

Offline Laini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Allen

William Henry Bunn was born in Peldon Essex around 1811. His father was Henry Bunn and his mother may have been Mary Backwith or Mary Sowell. From Parish records of the area, the name Henry went back a further few more generations in and around the Peldon and Abberton area (at least 3) I think W.H also had a brother called Henry and another called John. W.H. married Emma Williamson in Limerick, Ireland. If you have any info on this marriage I would be grateful.
From 1841 census, Henry & Mary living on Mersea Road, occupation - ag lab.

William went into the army and served in the St Helena Reg (after Napoleon died) then in 55th reg of foot in the first chinese opium war, then in Ireland in the 1840s. From there he ended up in Wrexham as sergeant in the Wrexham Militia (Royal Denbighshire Rifles)

Elaine

Offline allen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

Thank you for all that info re WH. Firstly, I had recorded Henry marrying Mary Sowell 2 Oct 1804 but hadnt connected WH, Henry, & John as their children, thanks. I have also noted Mary bapt 1812 & Amelia bapt 1809, both in Abberton - are these likely to be part of that family ?.

Sorry, I havent found the Wrexham marriage but, because I found WH to be an interesting Bunn, I noted everything I found that might have related to him. It seemed likely that he first married Georgana, born 1813, about 1830 (probably around Portsea) & had 2 children, Joseph 1831 & William 1835 both Portsea. Then I think he married Emma Williamson born 1825 Southampton & had 2 children born in Ireland & 4 later in Wrexham. Sorry, I havent found that marriage. Then I had Emma dying 1862 & WH's 3rd marriage to Mary Williams in 1863 at Wrexham with maybe son William born 1867 Wrexham. This was all gleaned form Census & Parish Records but presumes that this is all the same William H. Does this match with your research ?.

Whilst Peldon isnt far from the Maldon area, I havent yet made a link between these 2 lots of Bunns. Sorry for the late reply but I am shipboard and have just checked the email I use for Roots - hab20@hotmail.com if you would like to make contact for future Bunn questions. Lastly, it may be that Henry who married Mary Barnard in 1768 Langenhoe and the Henry who married Mary Backwith in 1769 Peldon are the same Henry & Father of Henry who married Mary Sowell ?.

Thanks, Allen
Bunn Scandrett