Author Topic: griffin 1800s shropshire  (Read 9044 times)

Offline KARTRIX

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: griffin 1800s shropshire
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 29 November 09 16:34 GMT (UK) »
on igi 1881 census when mary was 71 she was still unmarried??  >:(

Offline KARTRIX

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 29 November 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
right according to ancestry john ennis married ann innet born 1776 john born 1780  he married mary griffin and they had a son thomas in 1839 no mention of any other children to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 >:( >:( >:(  ill be back

Offline KARTRIX

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 29 November 09 16:54 GMT (UK) »
there is ann ennis died dec 1848 in tenbury mabe he married again after that?? ill look,  i may be barking up the wrong tree here i dont know

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 29 November 09 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

I have posted the 1841census where John Ennis and Ann are living next door but one to Mary griffin
There are children with both of the families - I believe they are all the children of mary griffin- but some of them used the Ennis surname

I have also posted the 1851 census where John Ennis widower is lodging with Mary Griffin (Mary lives at the same address she lived at in 1841) Mary griffin is still unmarried in 1851

Possibly the Ann Griffin who died in 1848 was the wife of John Ennis (as he is a widower in 1851)

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 29 November 09 17:49 GMT (UK) »
There is no birth reg for Thomas Ennis b 1839-that is because it was Thomas griffin who was born 1839 -illegit son of mary griffin - (maybe his father wasJohn Ennis but no proof,-john ennis did not marry Mary griffin -I don't think she ever married)

Now onto Ellen Vaughan b 1848

She was not really Ellen Vaughan and it looks like she was born 1849

She was Sarah's illegit daughter -birth reg in name of Griffin - but in younger years probably went by the name of Ennis.
1861 she is at home with Herbert and Sarah and is entered on the census as Ellen Vaughan daughter. This is not unusual.

I will try and get back later tonight and put things in a more easily understandable order.

Suz

I
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline KARTRIX

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 29 November 09 17:52 GMT (UK) »
thanks

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 29 November 09 17:59 GMT (UK) »
by the way -have found a tree on ancestry with Thomas Ennis - it is not well researched -the source citations are only census which have him as Thomas Griffin on some - there is no marriage proof of mary griffin and John Ennis -just that they are the parents of Thomas

Anyway- I'll be back later -it may be very late -so you can peruse it tomorrow

It is quite complicated - but I have come across similar situations in my own research - if you are fairly new to research its a lot to take in

But you are doing well with your look ups for possibilities etc
Back later

Suz

Offline KARTRIX

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 29 November 09 18:53 GMT (UK) »
ok then, i havnt been doing this for too long so i get confused, lol

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 30 November 09 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully you will be able to follow this.

Lets start with Herbert Vaughan and Sarah Griffin

the first thing you need to do is find them on census -from census after marriage until death.
That way you will find if at any time other family members lived with them -which can help in your research.

As you are a member of ancestry I will leave that up to you.

If you look back over these posts you will find I have already posted the 1861 census -Herbert and Sarah with 5 children. The eldest child being Ellen Vaughan age 13.
(after I posted that you have posted that someone has just told you about Ellen Vaughan -and you didn't know about he????)
If you had gone through each census year you would have known there was an Ellen vaughan - also if you had read my previous posts thoroughly you would have known that too.

You have to take it slowly

By the age given of Ellen on the census it seems as if Ellen was born before Herbert and Sarah were married.You had found their marriage reg
So then there is the possibility that Herbert had been married before and Ellen was from a previous marriage.
If you had purchased the marriage cert (which is always a good idea -as it would tell you if the bride and groom had been married previously -it would give names and occupations of fathers of bride and groom -unless they were illegitimate. Even if they were illigit sometimes the fathers name is entered -if the father was known to the bride(or groom) The marriage cert may confirm John Ennis is the father of Sarah. Also witnesses are sometimes relatives -and so give further confirmation you have the correct family

Suz